Glasgow & West Scotland

Dangerous driver crashed car into house in Kirkintilloch

Ross Aitken Image copyright Spindrift
Image caption Ross Aitken will find out later if he is to be jailed over the crash

A speeding motorist who crashed his car into a house in East Dunbartonshire, injuring two people, has admitted a charge of dangerous driving.

Ross Aitken, 23, from Kirkintilloch, ploughed into the house in the town after losing control of the vehicle on 27 October 2014.

The crash caused more than £41,000 of damage and injured a woman and 13-year-old girl in the property.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, sentence on Aitken was deferred and bail continued.

The court heard that Lindy Wright and her husband Stephen were at home and a teenage girl was in the living room at the time.

'Failed to stop'

Mr Wright went into the kitchen about 19:00 when the collision happened at the house on Waterside Road.

Procurator fiscal depute Claire Connachan said: "The accused's vehicle failed to stop at the give way junction and continued across the carriageway on to Waterside Road.

"The accused's vehicle then mounted the kerb on to a grass verge, colliding straight through the metal pedestrian railing and straight over the top of a Virgin Media communications box situated on the pavement."

She said neither the railing or box stopped Aitken's car and it continued into the front garden of the Wright home and "directly into the living room window".

As the car crashed into the house it propelled Mrs Wright and the young girl about 12ft to 16ft into the dining room.

Ms Connachan said Mr Wright heard an "almighty bang" and saw his wife staggering towards him when he ran towards the living room.

She collapsed in the kitchen with her leg covered in blood. Neighbours took the 13-year-old and another child out of the house.

Brake failure claim

Police arrived at the scene and Aitken told them: "It was me, I was driving. My brakes didn't work. Are they okay?"

He claimed he was driving about 40mph but witnesses estimated it was faster.

Mrs Wright was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary where she underwent surgery to remove tissue from her leg wound and received 30 stitches. She was left with permanent scarring.

The 13-year-old girl was treated for heavy bruising and scratches to her left leg which later developed a blot clot, requiring surgery.

Aitken admitted driving dangerously, driving at excessive speed, losing control and injuring Mrs Wright to her severe injury and permanent disfigurement, and the schoolgirl to her injury.

Sheriff Martin Jones QC told Aitken that custody was "uppermost" in the court's mind.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites