Glasgow & West Scotland

Man treated in hospital after door of Paisley flat set on fire

A 42-year-old man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after the front door of his Renfrewshire home was deliberately set on fire.

The man was alone in the flat in Tannahill Road, Paisley, at about 23:10 on Saturday when he was woken by his fire alarm sounding.

He noticed smoke coming from his stairway into his hall, and contacted emergency services.

A fire crew put out the blaze which is being treated as wilful fireraising.

Det Sgt Ian Ross, of Paisley CID, said inquiries were continuing and appealed for witnesses to come forward.

He said: "This was a deliberate, dangerous act which could have resulted in far more serious consequences, not only for the householder but also the other tenants who lived in the flats.

"Inquiries are continuing to trace who is responsible and officers have been carrying out inquiries in the local area and studying CCTV footage in an effort to gather more information."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites