Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Thousands of fans watch Hibernian victory parade

Hibernian victory parade Image copyright PA

Thousands of fans lined the streets of Edinburgh to watch Hibernian players take part in a victory parade.

The team were celebrating their first Scottish Cup win since 1902, after beating Rangers 3-2 in the final on Saturday at Hampden Park.

An open-top bus procession left the City Chambers and wound its way down Princes Street and Leith Walk to Leith Links.

The cup final was marred by crowd disorder after Hibs' win at Hampden.

Police Scotland has set up a specialist team to investigate the disorder and said 11 arrests had so far been made for minor offences.

Image copyright SNS
Image caption The team paraded through the capital on an open-top bus
Image copyright SNS
Image caption Players and fans were celebrating the club's first Scottish Cup win since 1902
Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Fans of all ages turned out to watch
Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Fans even dressed up their pets in Hibs colours for the parade

On Saturday, fans spilled on to the pitch after the Edinburgh side beat the Ibrox club with a late goal in injury time.

Rangers said some of their players and staff were assaulted.

A statement from the club, released on Sunday evening, called for a "full independent investigation into the shameful scenes at Hampden".

It added: "Rangers finds it incomprehensible that no one, either from within the Scottish FA or Hibernian Football Club, has condemned Hibernian's supporters following the violent scenes at the end of yesterday's Scottish Cup final when Rangers players and members of our backroom staff were physically and verbally assaulted.

"We have not even had the courtesy of any contact whatsoever from Hibernian to ask after the wellbeing of those who were attacked by their club's supporters."

Hibernian have vowed to co-operate with investigations into the crowd trouble.

Footage showed Rangers player Lee Wallace being punched and goalkeeper Wes Foderingham attacked.

Dozens of Rangers fans also came on to the pitch and fights broke out between rival supporters, while Hibs fans broke one of the goalposts and ripped up sections of the Hampden turf.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Mounted police took to the Hampden pitch following the invasion by fans
Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Sections of the pitch were ripped up

Ch Supt Kenny MacDonald of Police Scotland said: "Officers are in the process of collecting CCTV footage and collating the information that has been gathered at this stage as they try to identify those responsible for the disorder and violence on the pitch.

"As our investigation progresses I have no doubt that additional arrests will be made and would appeal to anyone with information that may assist police enquiries to come forward."

Hibs chairman Rod Petrie, who is the vice-president of the Scottish Football Association, put the scenes down to "over-exuberance" in the immediate aftermath and described them as "unacceptable".

A club statement later confirmed Hibs would "co-operate fully into any inquiry into the pitch invasion which followed the club's historic Scottish Cup win at Hampden Park".

It added: "Hibernian always seeks to maintain high standards, and we will work with the authorities to identify any supporter who may have taken part in any form of unacceptable behaviour which has tarnished the club's reputation."

Image caption The goal posts at Hampden were broken

More on this story