Glasgow & West Scotland

Schoolboy sentenced over stabbing near Glasgow secondary

A schoolboy who stabbed a classmate four times with a scalpel following a classroom row has been ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, attacked his 15-year-old victim near the gates of a Glasgow school on 2 March 2015.

He later admitted a charge of assault to injury and danger of life.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, the teenager was also tagged for four months and ordered to be supervised for two years.

The court heard that the boys were both 15 at the time of the incident and in fourth year at school.

'Words exchanged'

Procurator fiscal depute Lindsay Docherty said in the run-up to the incident they had exchanged Facebook messages indicating they were both "sound" with each other.

Ms Docherty said that on the day of the attack both boys were in a biology class before lunchtime and "words were exchanged".

While walking out of the school for lunch, a fight broke out when the accused punched the victim, after which pupils crowded round.

The prosecutors said: "As far as the victim is aware the fight was just between the two of them, albeit with others in the crowd shouting, however, the accused's perception is that others were punching him."

The court heard that pupils in the crowd started shouting "take the fight down the road" or similar words, after which both pupils did so and began fighting again.

Ms Docherty said: "About a minute down the street there was a second altercation during which the accused brought a craft knife out of his pocket and struck the complainer with it.

"The complainer threw punches and was repeatedly struck by the accused about his body with the craft knife four times."

Chest wound

They were split up and the victim walked away but soon spotted his left arm was bleeding and was taken back to school.

First aid was given and he began to struggle for breath. He undid his shirt to see a stab wound on his chest and was taken to hospital.

The court heard that the injuries were not life threatening and the victim was given a course of antibiotics.

After the incident police in the Gorbals area saw the accused who was out of breath, had a black eye and blood on him.

He was taken to Cathcart Police station and he asked about "the boy he was fighting with".

The court heard the scalpel used was from the art department in the school.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites