Glasgow & West Scotland

Man who slashed neighbour's neck in loud music row jailed

Thomas McIntyre Image copyright Spindrift
Image caption Thomas McIntyre denied carrying out the attack but was identified by five witnesses

A man who slashed his neighbour's neck after complaining that loud music was keeping his child awake has been jailed for eight years.

Thomas McIntyre, 42, attacked 27-year-old James Gunn with a knife at the doorway of his new flat in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, on 4 October 2014.

He denied carrying out the attack but was convicted of attempted murder after being identified by five witnesses.

Mr Gunn required a number of stitches including one to repair an artery.

'Overwhelming evidence'

Jailing McIntyre at the High Court in Glasgow, judge Lord Matthews told him: "I have rarely heard evidence that was so overwhelming."

The court heard that Mr Gunn had invited friends to a housewarming at his flat in the town's Mill Grove.

In the early hours of the morning he answered a knock at the door.

The victim told the court: "It was the neighbour directly above us - Thomas McIntyre.

"He said to me 'the music is too loud... I have been banging down to tell you to shut up'."

The court was told that McIntyre said he had a "wee girl up the stairs".

Image copyright Google
Image caption The attack happened at a flat in Mill Grove, Hamilton

Mr Gunn recalled apologising and insisted that he had not heard McIntyre before the latter attacked him.

Mr Gunn, who gave evidence from behind screens, told the court: "He swung the knife and I stepped back when I saw it coming towards me.

"It got me on the neck... from the jugular down the jaw line."

The victim managed to slam the door closed, but then slumped into the arms of a friend.

He said: "I saw that there was a lot of blood, so I screamed for help. My friend wrapped a shirt around my neck to stop the bleeding."

Mr Gunn was rushed to hospital and required a number of stitches including one to repair an artery.

McIntyre, also of Hamilton, gave evidence during the trial, but denied being the attacker.

He claimed: "I am being accused of something that I did not do and I do not know why."

McIntyre said he was at his mother's home at the time of the attack but the court heard that five witnesses - including Mr Gunn - had seen and heard him that night.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites