Glasgow & West Scotland

Disbelief and anger after groom's mum dies in police chase crash

Marie Laurie at her son's wedding Image copyright Laurie family
Image caption Marie Laurie (front centre in red dress) dies after leaving her son's wedding reception

The family of a woman who died on the way home from her son's wedding after a car chased by police hit her taxi have spoken about their anger and disbelief.

Marie Laurie, 57, from Easterhouse, had just got into the taxi with her husband when it was struck by a Vauxhall Astra on Edinburgh Road at 01:30 on Sunday.

She died at the scene. Her husband is in a serious condition in hospital.

Mrs Laurie's family told the BBC they were angry she had lost her life in those circumstances.

Her sister Alison said: "We're angry. It might sound really bad but someone can walk away with a cut and my sister is not coming back."

She said her sister had just got in to the taxi with her 52-year-old husband Jamie when the crash happened.

"Jamie had not even got time to sit down. He said he looked up and saw headlights coming and then woke up after it."

Image copyright Laurie family

Mrs Laurie's niece Michelle said the family had been enjoying "an amazing day" and described their disbelief at losing her aunt.

"She was happy. We're just so glad that we got to spend that day with her," she said.

"She was proud of her son, happy to see her all her family together. It's just been so hard because we were all together up dancing, having dinner, drinking champagne and then to be woken to be told she's not here.

"You're waiting on her walking in, to sit and grieve with us, as if it's somebody else. It happens to other people's family, it doesn't happen to our family. You read it in the paper, see it on the soaps."

Image copyright BBC and Police Scotland
Image caption Marie Laurie died at the scene of the crash in Glasgow

Police said previously that the green Vauxhall Astra drove off from Springhill Industrial Estate shortly before the crash after it did not respond to attempts by officers in a police van to pull it over.

The crash happened as the van, with blue lights flashing, pursued the car on Edinburgh Road.

The man driving the taxi, aged 50, suffered minor injuries, as did the 20-year-old male driver of the Vauxhall and his 16-year-old female passenger.

The 20-year-old car driver has since been reported to the procurator fiscal in connection with alleged road traffic offences.

The force also said that the matter had been referred to the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner for consideration as is "standard procedure" in such cases.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites