Glasgow & West Scotland

Power cut caused by fire cancels Pavilion Theatre show

Pavillion Theatre
Image caption The Pavillion Theatre is one of Glasgow's most popular venues

A Glasgow theatre production had to be cancelled after a power cut plunged the theatre into darkness.

Nicola Park was performing in The Real Hoosewives Fae Glesga: Wee Fat Glesga Wedding in the Pavilion Theatre when the outage happened on Friday night.

She stayed on stage and joked with the crowd, who could not see her, until all 1,389 theatregoers were evacuated.

Police believe a fire at an electricity substation, which caused the power cut, was started deliberately.

Ms Park was playing a character in the comedy show who is getting married. She is left on stage on her own after waving off her friends, who have left for America in search of stardom.

'Still here'

The lights went down as planned as Ms Park prepared to sing All By Myself.

She told the BBC Scotland news website: "I was standing there in the dark and nothing happened with the spotlight. Then I realised there was no microphone.

"I said to the audience 'I'm still here by the way' and I told them 'this is not part of the show'.

"I continued to talk to them. I said I was doing a wee dance and they couldn't see me. Then I started a wee jingle bells. Everyone was laughing. I was there for five to 10 minutes before we all left.

"I've worked on the stage for 20 years and I've never known anything like it."

Iain Gordon, manager of the theatre, said: "Around 35 minutes into the show, the lights went down when they were supposed to.

"Then we realised it was a problem and we had to evacuate the theatre. Once we talked to Scottish Power, we discovered it would be several hours until the power was back on."

The theatre has added an extra performance for Sunday after they were forced to cancel Friday's show.

Scottish Power said the fire at the electricity substation in Renfield Street, near the Herald newspaper building, left 200 properties without power.

About 20 firefighters attended the blaze just after 20:00.

Trapped in lift

A man and a woman were trapped for about 30 minutes in a lift in the Apex Hotel in Bath Street as a result of the power cut.

The fire was extinguished by 21:30 and firefighters remained in the area until midnight.

A spokesman for Scottish Power said the substation was completely destroyed and engineers have worked through the night to reconnect all properties.

He said: "By 21:30 we had reconnected approximately 150 properties, and the remaining 50 properties were all restored by 09:00 this morning (Saturday).

"We will work with Police Scotland to assist with their investigations."

A spokeswoman from Police Scotland said it is believed the fire was started deliberately and that officers were following a positive line of inquiry.

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites