Tributes paid to gallantry honour soldier William Angus
Tributes have been paid to a Scots soldier who won the Victoria Cross, the highest awarded for gallantry, during World War One.
William Angus suffered abut 40 wounds while rescuing a wounded officer from no man's land close to enemy lines.
He was serving as a lance corporal when he distinguished himself in France on 12 June 1915.
A commemorative paving stone was laid in Carluke, South Lanarkshire, on the centenary of the heroic rescue.
Lance Corporal Angus was born in Armadale, West Lothian, and worked as a miner before becoming a professional footballer with Celtic.
He was released by the club in 1914 and joined Wishaw Thistle before being mobilised to the army on the outbreak of World War One.
He was serving with the Royal Scots at Givenchy-lès-la-Bassée, France, when his comrade and fellow Carluke townsman, Lieutenant James Martin, was injured by a mine in no man's land close to enemy lines.
Lance Corporal Angus voluntarily braved 70 yards (64m) of German fire to reach the injured officer and brought him back.
He suffered up to 40 wounds and lost his left eye.
After spending two months in hospital, Lance Corporal Angus travelled to London where he was awarded the Victoria Cross by King George V at Buckingham Palace.
He was given a hero's welcome on his return to Carluke and received standing ovations at both Celtic Park and Ibrox.
Until his death in 1959, Lance Corporal Angus received a telegram of thanks from the Martin family on every anniversary of his heroic rescue.
His Victoria Cross is displayed at the National War Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh Castle.