Glasgow & West Scotland

Solicitor general Lesley Thomson to lead bin lorry probe

Glasgow bin lorry crash Image copyright PA
Image caption The bin lorry crashed in George Square after killing six people

Scotland's second most senior law officer is to lead the inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash.

Solicitor General Lesley Thomson will lead Crown evidence at the fatal accident inquiry, which is due to start on 22 July at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

Six people died and 10 others were injured when a council bin lorry crashed into pedestrians in Glasgow city centre on 22 December.

The Crown Office has already said that no-one will face criminal charges.

A spokesman for the Crown Office said: "The Crown Office can confirm that the Solicitor General, Lesley Thomson QC, will be conducting the fatal accident inquiry (FAI) into the road traffic incident which resulted in the deaths of six people in Glasgow City Centre on 22 December 2014."

Christmas shoppers

The FAI will be held before Sheriff Principal Craig Scott QC with a preliminary hearing scheduled to take place on 13 April.

The six people who died in the crash were teacher Stephenie Tait, 29, from Glasgow; student Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Lorraine, 69, and Jack Sweeney, 68, from Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire; tax worker Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow; and 52-year-old Gillian Ewing, from Edinburgh.

Image caption Solicitor General Lesley Thomson will lead the inquiry

The bin lorry went out of control on Queen Street before crashing into the Millennium Hotel at George Square, close to the city's Queen Street rail station.

Many of those who were struck had been out Christmas shopping.

Police investigating the crash submitted their initial report to prosecutors at the end of January.

Image caption (Clockwise from top left) Jack Sweeney, Lorraine Sweeney, Erin McQuade, Jacqueline Morton, Stephenie Tait and Gillian Ewing were killed in the crash

In February, Harry Clarke, the driver of the Glasgow City Council bin lorry, told the Daily Record newspaper that he had fallen unconscious at the wheel and could not remember anything about the crash.

Mr Clarke, 58, also said that he understood that bereaved families and those who were injured wanted answers about what exactly had happened.

Related Topics

More on this story