Glasgow & West Scotland

William Jackson admits killing Walter Littlejohn in Glasgow

A man has admitted killing his friend while awaiting sentence for an earlier attack on him.

William Jackson, 51, fatally assaulted 56-year-old Walter Littlejohn at his flat in Govanhill, Glasgow, in July.

He was originally charged with murder but had a guilty plea accepted to the reduced charge of culpable homicide.

At the High Court in Glasgow, sentence on Jackson was deferred for background reports until January and he was remanded in custody.

The court heard that days before the killing Jackson spoke to a nurse claiming Mr Littlejohn was making him upset and that he wanted to "punch him all the time".

Psychiatric appointment

The following day, he was seen by a psychiatrist, and although he described himself as "angry", the doctor had no further concerns about him.

This was despite Jackson already being on bail for assaulting Mr Littlejohn in July 2013.

The court was told that Jackson called an ambulance on 1 August, claiming he had found Mr Littlejohn lying dead in a chair.

A paramedic arrived and found Mr Littlejohn had passed away, but saw "nothing obviously suspicious".

Jackson told police that Mr Littlejohn had come to his door that day already injured.

He said he had later found his friend had stopped breathing and he had called for help.

Jackson denied at that time he had fought with Mr Littlejohn. He instead claimed Mr Littlejohn had earlier been involved in a "handbags" fight with another person.

Victim's injuries

A post mortem found Mr Littlejohn had been assaulted. He was found to have bleeding in his skull, rib fractures, injuries to his bowel and liver as well as bruising.

It was also found he had defensive-type injuries.

Jackson later changed his position and admitted Mr Littlejohn had stayed at his flat between 31 July and 1 August.

Officers then took a pair of trainers from Jackson's flat as they continued to probe the death.

One of them was found to have Mr Littlejohn's blood on it while the pattern on the sole matched bruising on the victim's chest.

A piece of the dead man's hearing aid was discovered in a bin and a pool of blood was seen under a couch.

It is thought Mr Littlejohn was beaten to death in Jackson's living room.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites