Glasgow & West Scotland

Woman hurt by kitchen fire in flat in Eaglesham

A woman is being treated in hospital for the effects of smoke inhalation after a fire at a flat in Eaglesham.

Fire crews were called to the flat in the East Renfrewshire town's Strathaven Road at about 17:10 on Wednesday.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the flat and extinguished the blaze in the kitchen area.

The woman was treated at the scene and later transferred to the care of paramedics who took her by ambulance to Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride.

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "Four firefighters were sent into the property wearing breathing apparatus while others provided treatment to the woman, who was suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

"Firefighters conducted a systematic search of the property and confirmed no-one was inside. They used a single high-pressure jet to tackle the flames, which had broken through to the roof space from the kitchen.

"A thermal imaging camera was used to identify hot spots and confirm the fire had been fully extinguished, with firefighters remaining in attendance to conduct cutting away operations and ventilate the property."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites