Glasgow & West Scotland

Eight in court after Scotland v England football game

Scotland and England fans Image copyright SNS
Image caption England won the match 3-1 at Celtic Park

Eight men have appeared in court charged with fighting following the Scotland v England football match.

Alexander Dredge, 31, David Stewart 33, Darren Bigglestone, 46, Lee George, 34, Charles Kennet, 28, Graham Lewis 55, George Policelli, 33 and John Willet, 30, were all arrested on Tuesday.

They are charged with engaging in a fight at the Thistle Hotel on Cambridge Street in Glasgow after the game.

All men made no plea and were granted bail at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

Mr Dredge and Mr Stewart are from Edinburgh, while Mr Kennet, Mr Willet and Mr George are from Portsmouth.

Mr Policelli and Mr Lewis are from Oxford, while Mr Bigglestone is from Berkshire.

They are expected to appear at the court again at a later date.

Four other men who appeared in court on Wednesday are due to stand trial next year for a number of football-related offences on the same night.

Alistair Downie, 24, Kieran Ewing, 23, Ryan McGinlay, 27 and Ian Eastwood, 50, are due to stand trial next year.

Mr Downie, from Inverness, is accused of committing a breach of the peace at Celtic Park by running on to the pitch during the match and then running towards the England supporters.

Mr Eastwood, from Thornliebank, is accused of behaving in a disorderly manner by climbing over security barriers at Celtic Park that separated the seating area and pitch, and going on to the trackside, committing a breach of the peace.

Mr Ewing, from Falkirk, allegedly shouted abusive remarks and challenged England supporters to fight on Green Street, and Mr McGinlay - from Stevenston - is said to have shouted, swore and made racist remarks at Glasgow Central train.

All four men pleaded not guilty.

England won the friendly, which was held at Celtic Park, 3-1.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites