Men in hospital after chemical leak at Ireland Alloys in Blantyre
Two men have been taken to hospital following a chemical leak at a metal plant in South Lanarkshire.
Fire crews were called to reports of a leaking valve and vapour cloud at Ireland Alloys, on Whistleberry Road, near Blantyre at 06:09.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus and gas tight chemical suits sealed the valve and dispersed the cloud.
Two workers were treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to Hairymres Hospital in East Kilbride.
It is understood that they are being kept under observation as a precautionary measure.
Fire crews lest the scene at about 08:30 after containing the incident and ventilating the factory.
Group manager Stuart McLean said: "Three appliances from Bellshill, East Kilbride and Hamilton and a specialist chemical unit from Hamilton attended the incident.
"On arrival the incident commander was faced with a leaking chemical and a small vapour cloud inside the factory.
"He immediately gathered information regarding the chemical involved and took direction from a specialist scientific advisor."
Group manager McLean said crews isolated the leak and ventilated the area.
The brigade's scientific advisor then conducted atmospheric monitoring before confirming the air was safe.