Glasgow & West Scotland

Unpaid work sentence for DJ Andrew Park over partner attack

A radio DJ who attacked his partner after she confronted him with claims he cheated on her has been ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work.

Andrew Park, 38, attacked 30-year-old Jennifer McGrattan at her flat in Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire, after a night out on 7 July last year.

He denied the charge but was convicted of assault and abusive behaviour.

Park, who has worked for Your Radio FM and Radio Clyde, was handed a community payback order at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

A condition of the order is that he carry out 300 hours of unpaid work in 12 months.

'Vicious assault'

Sheriff Brian Adair also granted a non-harassment order meaning Park cannot approach or contact or attempt to approach or contact Ms McGrattan for two years.

Passing sentence, Sheriff Adair told Park: "You were convicted after trial of threatening and abusive behaviour which then lead to a vicious assault on Jennifer McGrattan."

He told Park he did not believe his evidence and noted that Park adopted the same claims when speaking to a social worker after the trial.

The sheriff added: "This crime amounted to serious domestic abuse which could well merit imprisonment, particularly bearing in mind your record with two previous domestic incidents."

Park's trial heard how the couple had been at a party held by one of the DJ's former stations in Glasgow.

He told the court that she was accusing him of cheating and that she was "embarrassing" him in front of former workmates.

He gave evidence and claimed Ms McGrattan had attacked him at her flat and that the only time he touched her was to grab her arm to prevent him being struck again.

In her evidence, Ms McGrattan recalled how Park "completely snapped" and began ranting and swearing at her during a taxi journey home.

Victim 'tormented'

Despite the taxi driver urging her not to go inside, Ms McGrattan said she entered the flat and was grabbed by Park, causing two of her fake nails to be ripped off.

During the attack she had her hair extensions torn out by Park who "laughed" and "tormented" her as she begged for help.

Ms McGrattan said that when she went to call police Park tried to grab the handset from her.

Giving evidence from behind a screen she described him pulling her arm up and her hearing a "snapping" noise as she did.

The victim told the court: "The skin burst - it was almost like a fountain of blood coming out of it."

The court was played her 999 call where she could heard shouting down the phone: "I'm frightened. Please someone help me. I'm terrified."

Park was later convicted after Sheriff Adair said he found Ms McGrattan's account of the "whole sorry incident" to be "credible and reliable".

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites