Glasgow & West Scotland

Robber John Taylor jailed for tying up pensioner during Erskine raid

A man who tied up and terrorised a disabled pensioner during a failed robbery at the victim's home has been jailed for seven-and-a-half years.

John Taylor, 50, admitted, along with an accomplice, targeting 69-year-old Ian Logan at his house in Erskine, Renfrewshire, on 1 November last year.

He was caught after his DNA was found on a pair of glasses he dropped while fleeing the scene.

Taylor will also be monitored for three years after his release from prison.

Jailing him at the High Court in Glasgow, judge Lord Turnbull told father-of-seven Taylor: "You have a long history of violent conduct and you continue to present a serious danger to the public."

'IRA threat'

The court heard that the attack took place while Taylor was out on licence from a previous jail term.

After hearing a noise at his back door at about 19:00, Mr Fraser went to check - but was confronted by Taylor and an unknown accomplice.

Mr Logan was thrown to the ground, pinned down and his two attackers repeatedly shouted: "We're the IRA, give us your money."

One of the men put a knee to Mr Logan's throat and tried to put tape over his mouth, while the victim shouted that he did not have any money.

Mr Logan was then tied up with rope and the two men rifled through drawers.

A neighbour heard Mr Logan's shouts for help and alerted other neighbours and passers-by to what was happening.

They called the police and then went round to Mr Logan's house just in time to see Taylor jumping over the back fence.

Two of the men gave chase and saw Taylor drop a pair of glasses from his pocket. His DNA was found on the glasses and later led to his arrest and conviction.

Other neighbours found Mr Logan lying bound in the kitchen and untied him. He was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure but did not require medical treatment.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites