Glasgow & West Scotland

Woman rescued from fire in Paisley flat

A woman was taken to hospital after being rescued from a flat in Paisley after a fire broke out.

At about 12:45 the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service received a number of 999 calls reporting smoke coming from the first and second floors of a three-storey tenement on Neilston Road.

A spokesman said that when firefighters arrived a woman was being helped from the building by two passers-by.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a cigarette igniting a couch.

Watch Manager Niall Macleod said: "Our crews performed exceptionally well and their effective response successfully prevented the flames from spreading to other rooms, causing significant damage to the building and endangering people in neighbouring properties."

The woman was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital for a precautionary check-up.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites