Glasgow & West Scotland

Clutha crash: Victims remembered at memorial service

People gathered for service at St Andrew's Cathedral Image copyright PA
Image caption The service took place at St Andrew's Cathedral, four months on from the crash

A memorial service has taken place in Glasgow for the 10 people who died in the Clutha helicopter crash.

A candle was lit for each of the victims at the ecumenical remembrance at St Andrew's Cathedral.

Archbishop Philip Tartaglia, who led the service, spoke about visiting the scene in the hours after the crash.

He said in many ways, the tragedy, and its aftermath, brought out "the good, the selfless and the compassionate" in the people of Glasgow.

The service at Glasgow's Roman Catholic cathedral was held four months on from the crash and yards from where it happened.

It was attended by relatives and friends of those who died, people who were injured or were in the pub when the crash happened and members of the emergency services involved in the rescue operation.

Image caption (Top: left to right) David Traill; Pc Kirsty Nelis; Pc Tony Collins; Gary Arthur; Samuel McGhee (Bottom: left to right) Colin Gibson; Robert Jenkins; Mark O'Prey; John McGarrigle; Joe Cusker

Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Glasgow's Lord Provost Sadie Docherty also attended.

Reverend Dr Laurence Whitley, who was the police chaplain at the crash scene, gave a reading at the service.

The Police Scotland Eurocopter EC 135 came down on the Clutha bar at about 22:25 on Friday 29 November.

The three crew members died along with seven other people who were in the pub.

They were: Pilot David Traill, 51, Pc Tony Collins, 43, Pc Kirsty Nelis, 36, Joe Cusker, 59, John McGarrigle, 57, Mark O'Prey, 44, Gary Arthur, 48, Colin Gibson, 33, Robert Jenkins, 61, and Samuel McGhee, 56.

Archbishop Tartaglia told the congregation: "The Clutha Vaults Bar is located just a short walk from here.

"Before tragedy struck it was a well-known hostelry in a part of the City of Glasgow on the north bank of the river Clyde, which is in a phase of re-inventing itself as a cool venue for socialising.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Ten candles were lit in memory of those who died

"The Clutha Bar itself had a great reputation for civilised enjoyment."

He spoke of his "complete shock" at hearing news of the crash and said his visit to the scene brought home the "frightening reality of what had happened".

"I was deeply sorrowful for the victims," he said.

The archbishop went on to talk about the response from the people of Glasgow in the aftermath of the crash.

Image copyright PA
Image caption The police helicopter came down on the busy pub on 29 November

He spoke of the "human chain" that helped pulled people from the wreckage, those who came to the police cordon to pay their "silent respects" and the fundraising that went on in the weeks that followed.

"In many ways the tragedy brought out the good, and the selfless and the compassionate in people," he said. "It was poignant and humbling and I was proud of my city."

An ongoing investigation into the cause of the crash is being conducted by the Air Accident Investigation Branch.

It has already said the helicopter suffered a double engine failure.

A report issued on 14 February said both engines "flamed out" but it did not pinpoint the cause.

Some commentators have suggested a problem with the fuel supply.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionCalum Grierson, Aitken Hunter, John Robson, Ian Kelly and Danny Docherty have been talking about the night of the crash

On Friday, a tight-knit group of friends who met regularly in the Clutha bar spoke to BBC Scotland about the helicopter crash.

John Robson, Calum Grierson, Ian Kelly, Danny Docherty and Aitken Hunter met there on the last Friday of every month, along with friend Joe Cusker, who was fatally injured.

Related Topics