Glasgow & West Scotland

'Holiday husband' Jose Garcia jailed for trying to murder wife Fiona

A man from the Dominican Republic has been jailed for 10 years for trying to murder the Scottish woman he married after a holiday romance.

Jose Garcia, 28, stabbed 40-year-old Fiona Garcia in the chest after a discussion about the amount of money which was being sent to his family.

He denied trying to kill her and said the stabbing at their home in East Kilbride last July had been accidental.

The former hotel entertainer was convicted of attempted murder.

Jailing Garcia at the High Court in Glasgow, temporary judge Michael O'Grady QC told him: "You have been convicted of an appalling and equally disturbing crime.

"The attack upon your wife was unprovoked, brutal and utterly callous."

'Utterly callous'

The judge added: "She should have been able to look to you as her friend and protector, instead you came perilously close to becoming her killer."

He also ordered that Garcia is supervised in the community for two years after his release.

During the trial, the court heard that the couple met in the Caribbean in August 2010 while Mrs Garcia was on holiday with her mother.

They married in February 2011, after Mrs Garcia had received a £43,000 redundancy payout. Garcia then moved to her home in East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire.

The court also heard that Mrs Garcia paid off his family's debt.

Mrs Garcia told the court that her husband had assaulted her on other occasions. She said they had split up before the incident, but had reconciled.

On the day of the attack 19 July 2013, the couple were planning on having a barbecue and Mrs Garcia had gone to the shops for food.

Money 'tension'

When she returned she saw he had left money for her, but it was less than she expected because he was sending more home to his family than they had agreed.

Mrs Garcia said there was "tension" in the house because of the money and words were exchanged, but that there was no argument.

She told the jury she went in to the living room to get her handbag and as she made her way back to the doorway that led to the kitchen, Garcia came towards her and stabbed her in the chest with a large knife.

He ran from the house and Mrs Garcia was able to make a call to the emergency services.

She told the court: "I was panicked and distraught. I think I was full of adrenaline."

Mrs Garcia underwent surgery and was kept in hospital for about two weeks and was off work for two months.

Garcia denied attacking his wife and claimed that he accidentally stabbed her after picking up the knife and turning round to face her in the kitchen.

However, he was convicted of attempted murder.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites