Glasgow & West Scotland

Dean Geary death: Family make emotional appeal

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice have released CCTV images of Dean Geary in Glasgow on a night out before he died

The family of a teenager found dead after a night out have pleaded for information four years on.

The body of Dean Geary, 19, was found by a member of the public at 05:30 on 7 February 2010 on the A811 Drymen to Gartocharn road in West Dunbartonshire.

A police investigation concluded that he died of severe head injuries after being hit accidentally by a vehicle.

But detectives say there are unanswered questions and are re-examining how the teenager came to be fatally injured.

Mr Geary's father John, 46, from Alexandria, said: "It's every parent's worst nightmare, losing a child.

"Dean's room is exactly as he left it. We've been stuck in limbo.

"If you have the slightest piece of information, please be brave and come forward. Don't have it on your conscience. Someone must know something."

Mr Geary, whose son worked as an administrator at the Coulport naval base on the Clyde, said of losing him: "It's a huge part of your heart that's missing."

Police have released CCTV footage of Mr Geary's last movements in Glasgow city centre.

He and his friend Mark Craig were seen arriving at Queen Street railway station for a night out on the Saturday.

He left the Tattoo nightclub alone at about 02:00 and was seen on CCTV in George Square at about 02:40.

Image copyright Other
Image caption Dean Geary was found dead beside the A811 near Drymen

Other sightings put him near a taxi rank on the corner of Renfield Street and Sauchiehall Street at about 03:20.

At about 03:30, he spoke to a friend and said he was in a taxi.

An hour-and-a-half later, Mr Geary was seen by three motorists walking on the A811 near Gartocharn towards Drymen.

'Crucial evidence'

Det Ch Insp Kenny Graham, who is leading the investigation, said: "We believe there are still some outstanding questions regarding Dean's death and even four years on we are determined to try and find the answers.

"So I'm asking people to think back. Was Saturday February 6th 2010 a significant date in your diary? Did you go out to celebrate a birthday or anniversary that night and did you see Dean in the city centre?

Image copyright PA
Image caption John Geary said losing his son was "every parent's worst nightmare"

"Did you spot him at a taxi rank or getting into a taxi or any other vehicle in the city centre in the early hours of the of February 7th?

"We still don't know exactly why Dean was on the A811 and what his movements were between being seen in the city centre and when his body was discovered.

"I firmly believe there's someone out there with what might turn out to be crucial evidence which will help us find out what happened to Dean. I hope that the release of the footage today will help jog someone's memory and if it does I would urge them to come forward."

Police want to know how Mr Geary travelled from Glasgow to the Gartocharn area and what happened to his Sony Ericsson mobile phone and his wallet, which have never been found.

Family heartache

Mr Geary said: "Four years ago yesterday Dean was standing in the living room, laughing and joking, trying to decide what shoes to wear for a night out in Glasgow.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Dean's friend Mark Craig has appealed for information about his death

"Four years ago this morning he was found dead at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. We still don't know how he got to where he was found.

"We really need to find this out. Please give us any information you have so we can try to move on with our lives."

Mr Geary went to the Tattoo nightclub with his friend Mark Craig, 22, who said it was just a "normal night out" until he heard reports of a body being found the next day.

Mr Craig, who met Mr Geary at Vale of Leven Academy, said he did not realise his friend had left the club and went to phone him at the end of the night but his phone was out of battery.

He said: "They said a boy had been found at Drymen. It's quite far away from where we stay, it's not near anything, so I didn't think it would be him. I didn't believe it at first.

"I am gutted. Obviously you've got to live your life the way you would do, but you always think: someone's not there that should be there.

"There's no good reason for it. It's such a waste. Somebody definitely knows something because his phone and wallet are still missing.

"Just come forward, anything could help the police at this stage and get Dean's family some closure."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites