Glasgow & West Scotland

No more bodies found at Glasgow Clutha bar crash helicopter site

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe wreckage of the helicopter lifted from the pub and aerial shots of the scene

No further bodies were found during the final phase of a recovery operation at the Glasgow pub which was hit by a police helicopter.

Nine people died at the scene after the aircraft crash-landed on to The Clutha bar at 22:25 on Friday.

Emergency services concluded the recovery operation with a "finger-tip" search of the building.

The three helicopter crew died in the incident, along with six people inside the pub. Six victims have been named.

Samuel McGhee, 56, of Glasgow, and 48-year-old Gary Arthur, from Paisley, Renfrewshire, had both been inside the pub.

The three dead helicopter crew were pilot David Traill, 51, and PCs Kirsty Nelis, 36, and Tony Collins, 43.

Image caption Samuel McGhee, Gary Arthur, David Traill, Tony Collins and Kirsty Nelis all died in Friday's crash

Mark O'Prey has been named locally as another victim who had been inside the pub.

Earlier, his family had expressed frustration at the amount of information they had been given about the recovery operation.

Deputy Chief Constable Rose Fitzpatrick said 11 of the 32 people who were injured in the crash were still in hospital. BBC Scotland understands that three of them are in a serious condition.

She said Police Scotland was working hard to formally identify the remaining victims "to bring some certainty to the families who have been waiting for news since the tragic incident on Friday".

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionDavid Miller, deputy chief inspector of Air Accident Investigations: ''Nothing detached from the helicopter on flight''

"As many have acknowledged, it has been a difficult and complex recovery operation, made the more challenging for those in the emergency services who have been working at the scene who have also lost their colleagues and friends," she said.

"The scene is subject to our ongoing police investigation, led by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, and the inquiry by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch."

Officers conducting the investigation have asked for any footage of the incident to be emailed to:

Image caption Fire crews prepare to lift the helicopter

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) inquiry is being assisted by experts from Eurocopter, which manufactured the EC135 T2 aircraft.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service assistant chief officer David Goodhew said the removal of the helicopter had allowed search and rescue crews to complete searches, which had confirmed there were no further fatalities within the building.

He said two crews would remain at the scene to help police and other partner agencies as they conducted their investigation.

Management of the incident scene has now been handed over from the emergency services to Glasgow City Council.

Glasgow City Council chief executive George Black said: "Every Glaswegian is immensely grateful for the work the emergency services have done for us since Friday night.

"And every Glaswegian is immensely proud of their fellow citizens who ran towards trouble when they were needed.

"While the initial response to this incident has now come to an end, we still have work to do."

David Miller, deputy chief inspector of the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), revealed on Monday that the pilot had not made a mayday call before its vertical descent.

He said: "I can confirm that the helicopter does not have a flight data recorder. However, it does have a significant number of modern electronic systems on board and it may be possible to recover recorded data from those systems.

"There were no emergency transmissions from the pilot before this accident."

Mr Miller said nothing detached from the craft in flight before the crash.

The wreckage, which was removed on Monday morning, has been loaded on to a lorry and is being taken to the AAIB base in Farnborough, Hampshire.

Before the recovery two private ambulances, escorted by Police Scotland outriders, left the scene of the tragedy.

Rescuers including firefighters, ambulance staff and police officers formed a guard of honour as the vehicles passed by.

Earlier, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service assistant chief officer David Goodhew said the construction of the Clutha had hampered the "extremely difficult and complex" recovery operation.

Image caption The helicopter was loaded on to a truck and will be taken to the AAIB base in Farnborough, Hampshire

He said rescuers had to contend with large amounts of rubble inside the building, caused by the collapse of three roof structures and walls inside the pub.

Meanwhile, the Scottish Police Authority (SPA) confirmed that Police Scotland would continue to operate a helicopter in support of operations.

The aircraft which crashed was operated by Bond Helicopters and the SPA said the firm was contracted to continue supplying the service.

As tributes to the dead and injured continue to be made, Pope Francis said he was praying for the victims and their families.

Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael and his Labour shadow, Margaret Curran, praised the response of emergency services during an address to the House of Commons.

The pair, who both wore 'People make Glasgow' badges, said they stood in solidarity with the people of Glasgow.

Ms Curran asked for reassurances about when any findings from the air accident investigation would be made public.

Mr Carmichael said an interim report into the causes of the crash would be published as soon as possible.

Image caption Rescuers formed a guard of honour as ambulances left the scene

The commons speaker, John Bercow, confirmed that a book of condolence would be opened at Westminster.

First Minister Alex Salmond is expected to make a statement on the crash to the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday.

'Financial plight'

Within the city, efforts continue to help survivors and the bereaved.

Glasgow City Council said its charitable funds would be made available to anyone in hardship as a result of the tragedy.

Council leader Gordon Matheson said: "Those who are already suffering physically and emotionally need time to recover and to grieve.

"Money will be very far from their thoughts, but Glasgow will not allow their suffering to be compounded by financial plight in their hour of need.

"We can and will help them in the days, weeks and months ahead - and we know many of our fellow Glaswegians will also want to lend their support."

The actor Colin McCredie, best known for his role in TV drama Taggart, has also said he plans to organise a concert to raise money for victims and their families.

A book of condolence has also been opened at Glasgow City Chambers.

A BBC Scotland documentary, The Crash That Shook Scotland, will be broadcast on BBC One Scotland at 22:35 GMT on Monday. You can also watch the programme online.

Were you in the area? Have you been affected? You can contact us using the form below.

Your contact details

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

The BBC's Privacy Policy