Glasgow & West Scotland

Convicted rapist George Wells found dead at Dumbarton home

George Wells
Image caption Convicted rapist George Wells was awaiting sentence when he died

A man who was awaiting sentence for raping a woman and indecently assaulting two others has been found dead at his West Dunbartonshire home.

George Wells, 52, was found guilty last month of raping a 48-year-old woman at his home in Dumbarton on 12 June 2011.

He was also convicted of attacking a woman on a boat at Loch Lomond and indecently assaulting a third woman after a barbeque at his home.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "We can confirm the body of a 52-year-old man was recovered within his home at 17:55 on Monday 2 September.

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and police will supply a report to the procurator fiscal."

Sentence deferred

Following his convictions last month, Wells had been expected to be jailed last Friday.

The case was adjourned, however, until later this month for pre-sentencing reports to be completed.

During his trial, the High Court in Glasgow heard how garage owner Wells raped the woman at his home in McLaren Place, Dumbarton.

The victim had earlier been out for the evening with a relative of Wells and ended up back at the house he shared with his wife.

He later raped the woman as she slept and carried on even after she had woken up.

Wells was later detained for the rape, which he claimed left him "totally shocked".

The jury heard how his DNA was found on the victim's underwear, but he told the trial: "I don't understand it at all. It is a complete mystery."

It then emerged Wells had earlier attacked two other women while they were also asleep.

He indecently assaulted a 46-year-old woman during a weekend boat trip with others on Loch Lomond in the summer of 2008.

Attacks denied

Wells touched the woman and placed his hand over her mouth restricting her breathing.

He denied during the trial that anything of a "sexual nature" had occurred with the woman.

He also attacked a 46-year-old woman in July 2009 following a barbeque at his home.

Wells claimed in evidence the woman was "out of control" that evening.

He alleged he had later found her undressed in his bathroom and told her to "get her act together" before returning downstairs.

The woman, however, told the jury how she awoke in the spare bedroom to find Wells touching her.

Asked by his QC Brian McConnachie about the three allegations, Wells told the jury: "I think about it every day - I have been in total turmoil.

"Every day I try to understand it, but it still does not make any sense."

He added: "I am quite a friendly person. These people were of no interest to me whatsoever."

Prosecutor Peter Ferguson QC later asked Wells if he was "flirtatious" with other women, even in his wife's company - and he replied that he was.

But, he added: "There is a bit of difference with flirtatious and being a rapist."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites