Glasgow & West Scotland

Leanne Milroy jailed for stabbing Dee Gibson

A woman who stabbed her friend in the neck has been jailed for 30 months.

Leanne Milroy attacked 30-year-old Dee Gibson as the victim tried to get out of the 29-year-old's home in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, on 12 July last year.

A jury rejected her claim of self defence and convicted her of assault.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Milroy suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder at the time of the attack after testifying in an armed robbery case at the same court.

Milroy's solicitor advocate Bob Mitchell said it was "quite extraordinary" that his client found herself in the dock at the high court.

Robbery trauma

He went on: "She was the victim of a robbery at a public house - she was robbed at gunpoint.

"One man was sentenced to prison and she had to give evidence in this court.

"This incident had a significant impact on her mental health and she was found to be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"Frankly by July 12 last year, this young lady's ability to cope with these events was impaired."

Mr Mitchell said her mental health explained her actions, but did not "excuse" what she did.

Temporary judge Alastair Stewart QC described the case as "tragic" and said a jail term had to be imposed due to the gravity of the offence.

He told Milroy that due to "mitigating factors" the jail sentence would be more "lenient" than normal.

During an earlier trial, the court heard how Ms Gibson and another friend had gone to Milroy's home before the victim later visited a woman who lived near Milroy, before returning to the property.

Soon after coming back, Ms Gibson was said to have made a comment that this other woman's partner was "worse" than Milroy's.

'Very angry'

Prosecutor Michael Meehan asked: "How was that taken?" Ms Gibson replied: "Very badly - she was just very angry."

The court heard there was a struggle between the women.

Ms Gibson said it then ended and she went to leave the property.

Mr Meehan asked: "Did something then happen?" The witness said: "I must have got my bag and, as I got a few steps to the door, I was stabbed from behind in the neck.

"I remember trying to get an ambulance as my neck was bleeding very badly and I collapsed.

"When I was on the stairs choking on my own blood, I thought that I was going to die."

She recalled Milroy then burying her head into her victim's stomach.

Ms Gibson added: "I don't know if she said she was sorry or something."

The court heard how Ms Gibson was in hospital for two days and has been left with scarring on her neck.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites