Glasgow & West Scotland

James Lynch and David Cameron jailed for street attack

Two men have been jailed for an unprovoked attack on a van driver in South Ayrshire.

James Lynch, 23, and 25-year-old David Cameron admitted punching and kicking 55-year-old Robert Thorburn in North Harbour Street, Ayr, in November 2012.

Lynch was jailed for six years and ordered to be kept under supervision for a further four years after release.

Cameron was jailed for four-and-a-half years and ordered to be supervised for three-and-a-half years after release.

The pair had earlier admitted the serious assault on Mr Thorburn on 17 November last year when they appeared at Ayr Sheriff Court.

Sentencing powers

They were sent to the High Court in Edinburgh because of its greater powers of sentencing.

The court heard that Mr Thorburn had parked his work van in a parking space in front of The Ship Inn on the evening of the attack before walking home.

He later heard shouting coming from outside the bar which sounded like men arguing.

He decided to move the vehicle to avoid any possibility of it suffering damage.

As he approached the van a group of men began shouting remarks and walking towards him.

He drove a short distance to park the van and got out and began walking towards his home.

At this point Cameron and Lynch ran towards him and he was punched and kicked unconscious to the ground.

A witness saw the pair run away and dialled 999 before following them in his car. He saw them enter a pub and informed police.

Mr Thorburn suffered a dislocated shoulder and had a cut on the right side of his forehead which required eight stitches. A further three stitches were put in an injury to an elbow.

Jailing Lynch and Cameron, judge Lord Bannatyne told them they had carried out a "vicious and sustained" attack.

"It has had, as is clear from the victim impact statement, the most profound effect on your victim," the judge said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites