Glasgow & West Scotland

Aberdeen fans sentenced over Glasgow subway disorder

Three Aberdeen fans have been sentenced over a large-scale disturbance with Rangers fans in Glasgow last January.

Stanley Thain, 47, and Ivan Bridge, 41, pleaded guilty to forming part of a disorderly crowd, engaging in and challenging others to fight.

Gary Leys, 37, admitted shouting and swearing and repeatedly trying to breach a police cordon.

All three were given football banning orders at Glasgow Sheriff Court and ordered to carry out unpaid work.

The disturbance happened at Ibrox Subway Station prior to the game on 21 January 2012.

'Agitated state'

Procurator fiscal depute Joe Stewart told a previous hearing that the three accused were in a pub in the west end of Glasgow along with about 100 Aberdeen fans before the game.

The court heard that the Aberdeen fans and some Rangers fans got off at Ibrox Subway Station and made their way up the stairs to Copland Road about 20 minutes before kick-off.

Mr Stewart said: "It was obvious from the CCTV and the police that some of the Aberdeen supporters were in an agitated state. Some of them were shouting and waving their hands."

CCTV footage of the mass brawl at the underground was played in court.

The prosecutor said Thain, of Aberdeen, could be seen charging forward with other fans towards the Rangers supporters and lashing out.

He is described as "retreating" when mounted police became involved.

Bridge, from West Kilbride, North Ayrshire, was at the front of a crowd of fans seen fighting.

Banning orders

He was seen lunging towards rival supporters, swinging his arms, and also moving back when the police intervened.

Mr Stewart said Leys, of Aberdeen, walked up and down the police cordon and repeatedly tried to breach it and push his way past the officers.

Passing sentence, Sheriff Ian Miller handed each of the men orders with the condition they must carry out unpaid work in the community within nine months.

He also issued football banning orders to each of them for varying lengths.

Thain must carry out 270 hours work and is banned for three years, Bridge must do 215 hours work and is banned for two years and Leys has to carry out 235 hours work and his ban is for two-and-a-half years.

Leys was fined £550 in 2002 after he was caught on camera punching a 71-year-old Rangers supporter in the face at a football match in Aberdeen and breaching the peace.

Thain also has a previous conviction from 2001 when he was fined £150 for committing a breach of the peace at a football match.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites