Glasgow & West Scotland

Stab attacker Stephen Savage jailed for glassing man in pub

A man who was jailed for carrying out a brutal knife attack outside a Glasgow primary school has been convicted of glassing a man in a pub.

Stephen Savage, 38, was jailed for 54 months for repeatedly stabbing William Punshon on 20 January 2012 after an incident involving their families.

He has now been convicted of assaulting James Clark in the By The Way pub in Baillieston on 1 July 1 2011.

Savage's 18-month jail term will be served after his current sentence ends.

Savage, from Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, went on trial for the glassing attack at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

Deliberate attack

The court heard there was a fight in the pub that did not involve Mr Clark and that his next memory was running out the back door of the pub when he was hit on the head.

He did not see who hit him, but two police officers who viewed CCTV footage of the incident identified Savage as the attacker.

Despite Savage's denials, the jury found him guilty of assaulting Mr Clark.

Passing sentence Sheriff Norman Ritchie QC told him: "It is plain from the video recording that you picked up a glass quite deliberately and held it by the base and wielded the rim towards Mr Clark."

Savage is currently serving a four-and-a-half year sentence for a brutal attack on Mr Punshon.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how Savage verbally abused Mr Punshon's wife following an incident between their families at the school, in the city's east end.

He also threatened to come back later that day and stab her husband.

Stab wounds

Following the incident, police were notified about the possibility that an attack may happen.

Later that day, Mr and Mrs Punshon came to collect their son.

The couple were in their car when Savage, who had raced towards them in another vehicle, got inside and began attacking Mr Punshon.

The victim believed at that point he had only been punched, but it was later established that he had been stabbed.

Mr Punshon was later taken to hospital suffering from multiple stab wounds, including to his chest and neck.

Savage could initially not be traced following the attack but handed himself into police on 6 February last year.

Following the incident, Strathclyde Police apologised to Mr Punshon for failing to act on information that he would be attacked.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites