Glasgow & West Scotland

Hit-and-run driver Michael McInnes jailed for killing Robbie Dickie

Robbie Dickie
Image caption Robbie Dickie died at the scene in Chapelpark Road, Ayr

A man who knocked down and killed a teenager in a hit-and-run incident in Ayr has been jailed for two-and-a-half years.

Robert Dickie, 17, was fatally injured after being hit by a car driven by 21-year-old Michael McInnes in Chapelpark Road on 1 September last year.

McInnes admitted causing his death by dangerous driving.

At the High Court in Glasgow, judge Lady Stacey also banned McInnes from driving for five years.

Passing sentencing, she told him: "You were irresponsible in the way you drove that night.

Sentence 'appropriate'

"You must realise that a car can be lethal unless it is properly controlled. You failed to do that.

"I have taken into account that Robert Dickie was on the road, but you should have seen him."

The judge said she recognised that McInnes was "remorseful" but said a custodial sentence was "the only appropriate disposal".

At a previous hearing, the court heard how Mr Dickie had been celebrating with friends who had thrown a surprise party before he was due to start an architecture degree at university.

Meanwhile, McInnes had been attending a night out with his brother and friends.

He was driving them home in his Peugeot car when the vehicle struck Mr Dickie at about 03:10 on 1 September.

Prosecutor Stephen O'Rourke said McInnes had earlier drank half a bottle of Buckfast and a bottle of beer at a friend's flat. He later stuck to soft drinks while in the club.

The court was told how one of McInnes' passengers felt he was "showing off" during the the car journey as the vehicle weaved from side to side.

McInnes' friends later joked with him about the condition of the car and the accused partially turned his head to speak to them.

Passengers soon spotted a shape in the road which turned out to be Mr Dickie.

'Too late'

Mr O'Rourke told the court it was "not clear" how he had come to be on the road.

The advocate depute went on: "Someone within the car shouted and, as the accused turned his attention back to the road in front of him, it was too late and he struck Robert Dickie.

"The front and then rear offside wheels went over his body."

McInnes initially drove around a corner before stopping and rushing back with his friends to examine Mr Dickie.

After the teenager was checked for a pulse by one of the group, McInnes returned to his vehicle and drove off.

Mr Dickie, from Ayr, died at the scene after suffering a broken neck, fractured ribs and a gaping wound to his head.

McInnes, also of Ayr, was traced by police later that morning after being spotted sitting in his car.

He told officers: "Something bad happened last night. There was a boy lying on the road or what I thought was a boy and we struck him. We got out to see and I drove off."

Despite the alcohol McInnes had earlier taken, tests confirmed he was not over the drink drive limit.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites