Glasgow & West Scotland

Justin McDonald convicted of Philip Gault murder bid

A man who punched a father-of-one under the wheels of a train has been convicted of attempted murder.

Justin McDonald attacked Philip Gault as they got off a train at Coatbridge Sunnyside station in August last year after a row over a can of lager.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how Mr Gault, 33, was then dragged along the tracks by the train for a mile.

Judge Lord Tyre deferred sentence on 40-year-old McDonald until later this month for background reports.

The court that Mr Gault, from Glasgow, and his wife had spent the day in Edinburgh with friends and were returning home on the last train.

Lager dispute

He said that while on the train he had been approached by McDonald who saw him drinking a can of lager and demanded one.

Mr Gault refused but later gave a can to another passenger who "was polite" when he asked.

The 33-year-old said that he was approached by McDonald for a second time as he and his wife got off at Sunnyside station.

McDonald said to him that the can of lager should have been his.

He then punched Mr Gault, causing him to fall between the platform and the train.

The victim told the court that he thought he "was going to die" as the train pulled away, dragging him along the track.

Wife attacked

He was found about one mile down the track and was taken to Monklands Hospital, where he spent four days before being released.

He suffered tattoo-like scarring to his back, buttocks and left arm and leg. The ligaments in his left knee were also damaged and his shoulder was dislocated.

McDonald was also found guilty of punching Mr Gault's Mr Gault's 41-year-old wife, Lee, who was seen on CCTV footage lying dazed on the ground.

McDonald denied attempting to murder Mr Gault and claimed he was acting in self defence after being punched and head-butted.

The jury convicted him after deliberating for 90 minutes.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites