Glasgow & West Scotland

Frank Kennedy admits causing Dumbarton Road bus chaos

A man has admitted causing mayhem on a Glasgow street after he drove off while drunk in a bus with passengers, police and paramedics onboard.

Frank Kennedy, 27, took control of the number 66 First Bus in Dumbarton Road, Yoker, on 2 September.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard the bus had been stopped to allow paramedics and police on board to treat Kennedy's friend who had been assaulted.

Sheriff Norman Ritchie QC deferred sentence and remanded him in custody.

The court heard how bus driver Pawel Smetek stopped the vehicle after Kennedy's friend Steven McNee had been assaulted by another passenger.

No licence

Mr Smetek left his cab to dial 999 - but the key remained in the ignition as it was fixed.

Emergency services arrived and boarded the bus before Kennedy - who did not have a licence - was spotted getting behind the wheel.

Prosecutor Bernard Ablett told Glasgow Sheriff Court there were eight other passengers on board as well as two police officers and three paramedics.

Witnesses watched as Kennedy revved the bus and moved off.

Police constables Alana MacKinnon and Karin Buchanan tried to grab Kennedy, who swerved the single-decker.

The court heard how Mr Smetek and PC Buchanan were thrown from the open door of the bus before Kennedy smashed into a paramedic vehicle and an MG sports car.

Mr Ablett said: "The paramedics and some of the civilian bus passengers attempted to assist a police officer who was continuing to struggle with the accused.

"The bus veered across the road striking the police vehicle and an ambulance. The result of this collision also damaged a fence, which in turn struck a motor vehicle.

Passenger help

"The bus came to a halt at an angle across Dumbarton Road.

"Paramedics on board helped to restrain the accused as did some of the passengers. One passenger intervened by punching and kicking him."

Kennedy was eventually hand-cuffed. When he was charged he said to police: "What do you think I will get for this?"

The court heard that the area of Dumbarton Road affected was closed for three hours while a clean-up was carried out.

The front of the bus was also badly damaged. PC Buchanan was treated for a knee injury.

Sheriff Norman Ritchie QC remanded Kennedy in custody and deferred sentencing for reports.

He said: "This is just madness this incident I've been told about. Your record is terrible."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites