Glasgow & West Scotland

Sentencing delay for Reamonn Gormley killers

Reamonn Gormley
Image caption Reamonn Gormley died after being stabbed in Blantyre

The sentencing of two men convicted of killing a teenage student has been postponed because social work reports were not available for one of them.

Daryn Maxwell and Barry Smith were convicted last month after an attack on Reamonn Gormley, 19, in Blantyre, South Lanarkshire, in February.

Maxwell admitted murder while Smith pleaded guilty to culpable homicide.

The High Court in Glasgow heard a social worker had not been able to interview Smith.

Without the report Judge Lady Dorrian said she could not sentence Smith, even though she said she understood the consequences of delay for a large number of people interested in the case.

It is believed the mix up arose while Smith was being visited by relatives while in custody and was not told a social worker had also come to see him.

Mr Gormley's family made no comment on the delay.

The trial at the High Court in Glasgow had previously heard that both men were on bail when they killed Mr Gormley on 1 February.

Blood loss

Mr Gormley and his friend David McFall were heading back home from the Parkville pub, where they had been watching football, when the attack happened.

As the men walked along Glasgow Road at about 23:00, Maxwell jumped in front of Mr Gormley and demanded his wallet and his mobile phone, while Smith approached Mr McFall.

Maxwell, 23, was armed with a knife and 19-year-old Smith had a chisel. There was a struggle and Maxwell stabbed Mr Gormley three times to the neck and body.

The wounds to the student's neck cut his carotid artery resulting in extensive blood loss within a very short period of time.

After the attack, Mr McFall managed to take his injured friend back to the Parkville to get help.

The trial had been told of a desperate struggle to stem the bleeding and save the teenager's life, during which he said: "Please don't let me die."

He was taken to Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride but died a short time later.

Maxwell and Smith will now appear at the High Court in Perth on 7 December.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites