Man jailed for killing boxer Willie Limond's uncle

Image caption,
Louis Shields was brutally murdered in his Glasgow home

A man who admitted brutally murdering the uncle of Scots boxing champion Willie Limond has been jailed for life.

William Cairns, 44, was part of an attack which saw 46-year-old Louis Shields struck with knives, a meat cleaver and a baseball bat.

Mr Shields' brother Peter, 47, was also attacked at the men's home in Glasgow's Craigend area in February this year.

At the High Court in Glasgow, Cairns was told he would have to serve at least 18 years in prison.

Earlier, the court had heard how Cairns, who was known to both Shields brothers, had squabbled with Peter a year earlier over a bottle of vodka.

Minor argument

Louis and Peter Shields are uncles of professional boxer and World Boxing Union (WBU) lightweight champion Willie Limond.

Cairns was reminded about the row on 18 February this year when a friend brought up the minor argument.

He then armed himself with a knife and, with two other men, went to the flat in Craigend where the Shields brothers lived.

When Peter Shields answered his door Cairns and the other men tried to force their way in.

As Mr Shields tried to keep them out, he was struck twice with a knife.

He then yelled for his brother Louis, who was in his bed.

He got up and helped his brother as they tried to keep the armed trio out of their home.

During the struggle, Louis Shields tried to grab the knife but Cairns plunged the weapon into his neck.

Following the attack, Cairns arrived back home clutching a blood-stained knife and told a friend: "I have just plugged that Louis through the heart."

Last month, Cairns and his son, William Cairns jr, had been due to go on trial for the murder of Mr Shields.

However, the father admitted the charge while his 20-year-old son had his not guilty plea accepted.

Cairns snr also pled guilty to assaulting Peter Shields to his permanent disfigurement.

'Fevered mind'

Cairns jnr admitted assaulting two women during a raid at a flat in Glasgow's Dennistoun on 24 January this year and was jailed for six years and three months.

The 20-year-old targeted the property after his accomplice believed his father had been sold drugs from the flat.

Passing sentence on Cairns snr, temporary judge Norman Ritchie QC told him that the murderous attack had arisen out of an incident "a year before which was of such little consequences almost everyone had forgotten about it".

The judge said Cairns had listened to "another man's lies" and allowed himself to become "so enraged" that he went to the Shields' home with murder on his mind.

The judge said: "Peter Shields did not have an idea why you were there and Louis Shields was woken from his bed, ran to the door to help his brother and you struck him on the neck with a knife. He died in a pool of blood in the hallway.

"You armed yourself and went to that flat determined to gain entry and settle a score which existed only in your fevered mind."

Mr Shields's family - including his nephew Mr Limond and his sister, sister-in-law and niece - was in court to see Cairns being sentenced.

Outside court they said: "This was awful. Louis was a quiet person. This was for no reason at all.

"He is just evil. We don't think he regrets it at all. Some day he is going to be out. Louis didn't deserve to die in this way. Nothing is going to bring him back.

"He will never get to see his six-year-old grandson grow up."

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.