Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Forth Road Bridge reopens after lorry closure

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionA lorry overturned on the Forth Road Bridge at about 15:00

The Forth Road Bridge has reopened after a lorry which overturned in high winds was safely removed.

Police Scotland said the accident happened at about 14:50 while the bridge was closed to high-sided vehicles amid 50mph winds.

The lorry was righted at about 17:00, and escorted off the bridge an hour later.

Both carriageways, which had been closed over fears the trailer could move in high winds, are now open.

No-one was injured in the incident.

Transport Scotland said engineers loaded the lorry with concrete blocks to weigh it down before it could be towed off the bridge.

Engineers inspected the central barrier and reported no damage.

Image caption The bridge was closed in both directions amid fears the wind could move the trailer

Earlier, bridge operators said: "Our team is on site assessing the situation - we'll get the lorry removed as soon as it is safe to do so."

It is understood the lorry crashed near the North Tower, close to where another truck crashed in January.

Then the bridge was shut for more than 19 hours after an HGV was blown from the northbound onto the southbound carriageway.

The 54-year-old driver of the lorry involved in that incident was charged with dangerous driving. A hearing on that case is due to take place on Wednesday at Edinburgh Sherriff Court.

Image caption The lorry was righted at about 17:00 before being escorted off the bridge
Image copyright Forth Road Bridge
Image caption Engineers inspected the carriageway once the lorry was removed

Traffic had backed up on both sides of the bridge during the evening rush hour.

Motorists were being diverted via the A985 Kincardine Bridge and faced significant queues.

Police Scotland said: "Warning signs were in place prohibiting high-sided vehicles from crossing the bridge due to high winds.

"Inquiries are ongoing into the full circumstances."

Image copyright Traffic Scotland
Image caption The incident happened during high winds
Image caption Drivers faced significant queues as a result of the bridge's closure
Image caption The bridge was closed to all traffic while the lorry was recovered