Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Passer-by stabbed pair in the neck following argument

Saughton Mains Park Image copyright Google
Image caption The victims had been attending a house party in Saughton Mains Park

Police are investigating a knife attack on a teenage boy and another man by a passer-by in Edinburgh.

The pair, aged 16 and 20, are understood to have been stabbed in the neck in Saughton Mains Park after leaving a house party.

The attack happened at about 20:40 on Friday after they got into an argument with a third man who was passing by.

Police are also investigating an unrelated stabbing of two teenagers in the Uddingston area of Glasgow.

The 16 and 17-year-old boys were attacked in the Birkenshaw area following an "altercation" with a man in the street.

Following the Saughton Mains Park attack, the 16-year-old and 20-year-old man were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where their condition was described as stable.

Police said they were following a positive line of inquiry in connection with the incident.

'Life threatening'

Det Ch Insp Martin MacLean said: "This was an unprovoked attack on two young men who have sustained significant injuries.

"One in particular could have been life-threatening and we are treating this as attempted murder.

"We are following a positive line of inquiry, but need all the help we can get to trace the male responsible as soon as possible.

"I believe people in the local community know who this person is and I am appealing for anyone with information to come forward and help us."

Mr MacLean said there were a number of people in the Saughton Mains Park area who were also attending the party.

He urged anyone who the police had not spoken to, to come forward.

Image copyright Google
Image caption The teenagers were attacked in Second Avenue in Uddingston

Following the stabbings in Uddingston, officers said they were carrying out door-to-door inquires and reviewing CCTV footage.

The 16 and 17-year-old boys were attacked in Second Avenue in Birkenshaw at about 23:50 on Friday after becoming involved in an "altercation" with a man.

'Permanently scarred'

They suffered stab wounds and were taken to Monklands Hospital.

The 17-year-old was released following treatment while the 16-year-old remains in hospital where his condition has been described as stable.

The suspect was white, aged between 30 and 40, about 5ft 10in tall, with a gaunt appearance.

He was wearing dark clothing and had his hood up at the time of the attack. He later got into a silver car and drove off in the direction of Old Edinburgh Road in Viewpark.

Det Christopher Smith appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

He added: "The motive for this attack is unknown and two young men will be left permanently scarred as a result of these assaults."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites