Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Belfast man jailed for Edinburgh 'hit-and-run'

Scene of the incident

A joiner, who was over the drink drive limit when he knocked down a man on a pedestrian crossing in Edinburgh before driving over him, has been jailed for 32 months.

Caoimhin McSherry, 22, from Belfast, was also disqualified from driving for five years.

He earlier pleaded guilty to causing serious injury to Malcolm Robinson by driving dangerously last September.

Sentence had been deferred at Edinburgh Sheriff Court until Thursday.

McSherry had also admitted failing to stop after the accident on 27 September failing to report the accident, and, having 29 microgrammes of alcohol in his breath when the limit is 22.

Pints of beer

Fiscal Depute Rosanna Chapman told Sheriff Norman McFadyen that McSherry had been working in Edinburgh since July 2015 along with two colleagues.

They were staying in the Travelodge at the airport, socialised with each other at the weekends and planned to watch the Ireland v Scotland rugby international after work.

The men finished work at 14:00 and went to a pub in Victoria Street.

"They consumed a number of pints of beer," said the fiscal.

She added that the men had discussed buying some food and getting a taxi back to the hotel, but McSherry said he would drive them home.

Ms Chapman said: "His colleagues told him that was not a good idea as he had been drinking."

As the men were walking towards Waverley Bridge, the fiscal said McSherry refused to get a taxi and told the others he would drive them to the hotel.

"The others decided it was best to go with the accused," she added.

Cracked windscreen

At about 21:50, Mr Robinson, who had been in the Grassmarket also watching the rugby match, was making his way over a pedestrian crossing.

McSherry was approaching in his car and, said the fiscal, one of his colleagues told him to "watch out".

"The accused attempted to apply the brakes, but struck Mr Robinson on the right hand side of his body causing him to go up on the bonnet of the car and hit the right-hand side of the windscreen which cracked," said Ms Chapman.

She continued: "Mr Robinson fell off the bonnet onto the ground and was lying unconscious.

"The accused accelerated his car and drove over Mr Robinson. A number of people saw him just driving over the man and dialled 999 for the police and ambulance."

Ms Chapman said Mr Robinson was placed on life-support and suffered a collapsed lung, damage to his liver and abdomen, damage to his right shoulder, hip and fractured ribs and spent six weeks in hospital.

He still had restricted movement in his shoulder and the psychological impact of the accident had led to insomnia and anxiety. He was still receiving physiotherapy.

Defence solicitor Ewan Roy told Sheriff McFadyen that his client's actions had been "deplorable" and he would have to live with the shame of the incident.

Sentencing McSherry, Sheriff McFadyen described the events as "a shocking sequence of drink-driving".

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites