Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

More arrests over Scottish Cup Final disorder

Fans and police in Hampden Park
Image caption Police said there was a large-scale investigation into the disorder at the cup final

Police have arrested a further 12 men in connection with the violence which marred last month's Scottish Cup Final.

The arrests were made following operations at addresses in Edinburgh, Fife and Glasgow.

Police have now made a total of 28 arrests following the disorder at the Hibs/Rangers clash at Hampden on Saturday 21 May.

Officers said they expected more to take place in the next few weeks.

The detective leading the operation, Det Supt Kenny Graham, said the new arrests were just the "first phase" of the large-scale investigation.

He said 10 men, aged between 17 and 50, were arrested over offences including assault, vandalism, disorder and anti-social behaviour.

The 17-year-old was charged with an alleged assault on Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham, who was still on the pitch when Hibernian fans invaded at the full-time whistle.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Officers and stewards moved in to restore order after fans flooded on to the pitch

Two other 18-year-olds were the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal in connection with alleged disorder and assault at the game.

Police brought horses on to the Hampden pitch to control the crowds, after Hibernian won their first Scottish Cup Final in 114 years.

There were clashes as thousands of Hibs fans invaded the pitch as well as a section of support from the Rangers end of the ground.

The pitch invasion delayed the presentation of the trophy and there was no lap of honour for Hibs players.

Rangers players were not able to pick up their cup final medals.

Det Supt Graham said: "This is a large-scale investigation into the multiple acts of violence, disorder and vandalism, involving large numbers of people which occurred in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup Final.

"I have a team of officers which has been working extensively to identify those individuals involved in violence and disorder, regardless of the colour of their scarf."

Police Scotland said they were reviewing hours of CCTV and television footage, photography and material from social media.

There were 16 arrests in the first week after the match.

Related Topics