Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Storm-hit Oxgangs Primary School closed as 'precautionary measure'

Damage at Oxgangs Primary School Image copyright Scott Arthur
Image caption High winds caused damage to Oxgangs Primary School in Edinburgh

An Edinburgh primary school where part of a wall was blown off during stormy weather earlier this year has been closed as a "precautionary measure".

Hundreds of bricks were blown from Oxgangs Primary school during Storm Gertude in January.

Parents have been told that pupils should not attend the school on Wednesday and alternative arrangements will be put in place from Thursday.

The school will not reopen until after the Easter holidays on Monday 11 April.

The school was shut immediately after the incident which happened on 29 January but reopened a few days later following a safety inspection.

Edinburgh City Council said the decision to close the school again was taken after a further building survey was carried out earlier this week.

Safety 'paramount'

Councillor Paul Godzik, education convener, said: "By closing the school now it means the necessary works can be started immediately.

"The council will be providing alternative arrangements at other locations to ensure pupils' education can continue until the start of the Easter holidays.

"I want to reassure parents this is a purely precautionary measure but I am sure everyone will agree that the health and safety of our pupils and staff is paramount."

The Easter holidays begin on Friday 25 March.

Image copyright Annemarie Pearson

Parents were informed of the closure by an email from the council's education department on Tuesday.

It said: "I realise this may cause inconvenience for you regarding childcare arrangements and apologise for this.

"We will confirm by 2pm tomorrow exactly what the contingency arrangements are for your child to attend school from Thursday until the Easter holiday."

A parent, who did not want to be named and has a five-year-old son at the school, told the BBC Scotland news website: "I'm shocked and upset that this school survey wasn't done sooner as it's terrible thinking the children have been going to school when it's obviously so unsafe that they are immediately having to close it now.

"I hadn't seen any workmen or officials at the wall until yesterday, which is unbelievable as you would think the company that built the school would have been wanting to make sure it was safe straight after the wall blew down weeks ago."

She added: "It's very short notice to be told the night before too that the children are to be off tomorrow.

"It will also be very difficult to get my son to the school they choose for the next week. I'm very concerned and unhappy about all of this."

Image caption Part of the wall at Oxgangs Primary was blown down

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites