Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Teenager's life 'destroyed' by attack on friend in Edinburgh

Brett Lodge
Image caption Brett Lodge died from his injuries on 9 July at the Western General Hospital

A teenager has told a court how his life was "destroyed" after he struck his friend, who later died, with a baseball bat in Edinburgh.

Declan Robertson, 17, from Edinburgh, said he has received counselling after the alleged attack on Brett Lodge, 17, on a path at The Inch on 1 July 2011.

Mr Robertson was giving evidence at his trial in which he denies murder.

Two other men, Andrew Parfinowski, 18, and Cameron McKail, 17, also deny murder.

The trio have pleaded not guilty to a charge alleging that they attacked Mr Lodge at a path between the city's Claverhouse Drive and Glendinning Crescent.

They have also pleaded not guilty to a charge of attempting to defeat the ends of justice on the same date as the alleged murder.

Mr Robertson's legal team have also lodged a special defence with the court stating that their client acted in self defence during the alleged incident.

'Best friends'

On Monday, the High Court in Edinburgh heard Mr Robertson say he struck Mr Lodge with the bat during an alleged incident.

The court heard Mr Robertson say Mr Lodge then fell over and he could see blood coming from his ear.

Mr Lodge, a former pupil of Newbattle High School in Dalkeith, Midlothian, was rushed by ambulance to hospital for treatment.

However, he later died from his injuries on 9 July at the Western General Hospital.

Mr Robertson told the court: "I can't sleep. My sleeping's really bad. My eating's bad."

He told defence advocate Herbert Kerrigan QC he had known Mr Lodge since nursery.

He said they were "best friends" and were like "brothers".

He told Mr Kerrigan: "It has destroyed my life. Basically everything about me is destroyed."

A fourth man, Bradley Lumsden, 17, from Prestonpans, East Lothian, was also originally accused of the charges alongside the three men.

However, he was acquitted after the Crown accepted his not guilty pleas earlier in the trial.

The trial, before temporary judge John Morris QC, continues.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites