Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Frank Moore jailed for Stewart Taylor murder

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionFrank Moore had denied the charges and had claimed he had an alibi

A man who attacked his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend in a jealous rage in Edinburgh has been jailed for life.

Frank Moore, 43, must serve at least 22 years for killing Stewart Taylor and leaving Lynsey Methven for dead in the city's Grange area on 7 February.

Last month he was found guilty of the murder of Mr Taylor and attempted murder of Ms Methven, 31.

Police said the "horrific attack" came after Moore had stalked and threatened the couple over a number of weeks.

He was sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh.

Moore had denied the charges and claimed he had an alibi.

Mr Taylor, 34, was originally from Aberdeen.

Ms Methven said after the verdict: "Everyone keeps asking me how I feel, nothing I can say would ever be enough.

"Stewart and I were happy together and now he's gone.

"No amount of time that he spends in jail would ever be enough."

She added: "I would like to thank the police officers that have helped to put this case together and all the support they have given me and my family."

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe father of Stewart Taylor, murdered by stalker Frank Moore, says hanging should be brought back

Derek Alexander, Stewart Taylor's father, said: "It's been a real tragedy.

"It is his mother and his brothers who I really feel sorry for now.

"They are finding it very hard to cope, as am I.

"It think it has been a case of him being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He should have got more, they should bring back hanging."

Moore had stalked the couple over a period of weeks, subjecting them to intimidation and threats that culminated in an attack at a flat in Chalmers Crescent.

He inflicted severe injuries on both victims, leaving them unconscious, before fleeing the property.

Image caption Stewart Taylor was attacked in a flat in the Grange

The couple were discovered by firefighters who had been called to deal with a blaze that had broken out in the flat following the attack.

Stewart Taylor died of his injuries shortly after, and Frank Moore was arrested the following day, in Bothwell Street, Edinburgh.

Stephen McGowan, district procurator fiscal for Edinburgh, said: "Frank Moore engaged in an obsessive and malicious campaign of harassment directed at his former girlfriend Lynsey Methven, who had ended their relationship.

"That culminated in him committing a sustained assault of extreme brutality on his two victims.

"He killed Stewart Taylor and left Lynsey Methven with permanent injuries.

"He demonstrated an utter disregard for human life.

"I hope that today's sentences will provide some comfort to Lynsey Methven and the family of Stewart Taylor."

Image caption Lynsey Methven told the court she had no recollection of what happened in the flat

Passing sentence judge Lord Pentland told Moore: "You have been convicted of the depraved and brutal murder of Mr Stewart Taylor and of the attempted murder of your former partner, Ms Lynsey Methven.

"The motive appears to have been jealousy and hatred towards the couple.

"Ms Methven no longer wanted to be associated with you, but you pursued and harassed her in defiance of her wishes.

"She and Mr Taylor sought only the chance to develop their relationship with one another.

"This you were unwilling, or unable, to tolerate."

Det Supt Allan Jones, of Lothian and Borders Police, said: "Nothing can undo the anguish that Frank Moore has caused to Stewart Taylor's family, and to Lynsey Methven, and it is testament to their character that they have conducted themselves with courage and dignity during what has been a harrowing ordeal for them.

"It is my sincere hope that today's sentence will provide them with some form of closure, and our thoughts are with them for the future."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites