Mother rescued from huge blaze in Edinburgh
A mother-of-one has told how she was rescued by turntable ladder from a huge blaze in six-storey Edinburgh flats.
Heidi Pearson, 42, said she was "shaky" with adrenaline as she was lifted through the kitchen window of her top-floor flat in Buccleuch Street.
Her friend, Chris Berry, 22, who was visiting, was also lifted to safety after the fire started at 1050 GMT.
Ms Pearson, whose 12-year-old daughter was at school during the rescue, paid tribute to the fire crews.
At least 50 firefighters tackled the fire, which started in the Meadow Bar.
Seven fire engines and a turntable ladder were at the scene and the road was closed.
It is understood three people in the first-floor-flat woke to find smoke filling their flat, before they called emergency services.
Ms Pearson told the BBC Scotland news website: "When I came down from the upstairs part of my flat I could smell smoke, so I opened the front door and the stairwell was full of smoke.
"One of the boys from downstairs was shouting to get out because there was a fire but I couldn't get through the smoke.
"I opened the kitchen window and saw a lot of fire engines and police cars below and then a firefighter on a turntable ladder lifted me through the window into his basket."
Ms Pearson said the firefighters had done a great job.
A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "The fire appears to have broken out in function suite of The Meadow Bar.
"At the height of the incident we had seven pumps in attendance and a turntable ladder.
"Considerable Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service resources have been deployed to this incident.
"There was heavy smoke logging and crews worked quickly in intense conditions to prevent fire spread."