Two men injured in 'runaway' bus crash in Glasgow city centre

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionStreets were closed following the crash which involved a number of buses

Two men have been injured in an incident involving a "runaway" double-decker bus in Glasgow city centre.

Eyewitnesses said a service bus with no driver on board crashed at about 15:45. Two other buses and a car were damaged.

Renfield Street was closed for around two hours in the vicinity of West George Street and St Vincent Street as officers investigated the crash.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said two men were taken to hospital.

She said: "Police are appealing for information following an incident involving a bus in Glasgow city centre on Monday 18 July 2016.

"Around 15:45 police received a report of a bus apparently travelling south on Renfield Street having collided with a stationary car at traffic lights at West George Street. The car moved forward and struck a pedestrian on Renfield Street.

"The bus continued to travel on Renfield Street before it collided with a stationary bus near to St Vincent Street, which then nudged into another stationary bus on Renfield Street.

"Two men have been taken to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary for treatment to injuries.

"Inquiries are ongoing to establish the exact circumstances of the incident, including reviewing CCTV footage, and anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101."

'It hit four buses'

Paul McNamee, editor of the Big Issue in Scotland, was walking on Renfield Street when the crash happened.

He told the BBC: "There didn't appear to be anyone on the runaway bus.

"It then collided with a single decker.

"It hit four buses and then sent one into a fifth.

"I didn't see anyone jump off - it appears the emergency doors sprang open with the collision."

Image caption Police were at the scene of the crash which happened at 15:45 on Monday

Muhammad Sultan, manager of Charcoals Indian Restaurant, adjacent to the scene of the crash, told the BBC: "Customers were sitting here and I was standing having a chat when I heard a noise, a bang.

"The bus came from behind. People were trying to run out, they were all shocked and didn't realise what had happened.

"They opened the fire exit doors to get out - the front doors wouldn't open.

"There were children crying, I went over to try and offer them some help."

A First Glasgow spokesman said: "We can confirm that a First Glasgow vehicle was involved in an incident on Renfield Street this afternoon.

"Its too early to speculate on the cause of the incident. However, we've launched an immediate investigation and will work closely with the emergency authorities to determine exactly what happened.

"Our thoughts at this time are with the two men who were injured as a result of the incident."

Image copyright SOPHIA MCLAREN
Image caption One onlooker, Sophia McLaren, took a picture of the crashed buses

Related Topics