Clear-up begins after Dumfries and Galloway flooding

Media caption,
A man who was rescued from his flooded farm with his four young children surveys the damage caused by the heavy rain

A clean-up operation has started after widespread flooding in south and west Scotland.

All main roads in Dumfries and Galloway have been reported as being clear but some local routes remain closed.

It has emerged that the level of the River Nith at Drumlanrig on Monday was the highest ever recorded.

Further downstream, the river burst its banks in the centre of Dumfries. The Whitesands car park in the town is closed, although water is receding.

Three people were rescued by firefighters at Whitesands on Monday night after they were cut off by the deep floodwater and rising river.

Firefighters used specialised equipment and carried one of them to safety after the family was cut off in their upstairs flat.

Earlier, electricity in the area was cut off because of the rising floodwater in the Vennel and Whitesands.

Meanwhile, a man who was airlifted from his flooded farm, along with his four children, has spoken about their ordeal.

Sam Kennedy-Moffat and his children, all under eight, were flown to safety after being trapped in the farmhouse beside the River Nith at Closeburn, near Dumfries, for about six hours.

Two holidaymakers in a nearby cottage were also rescued.

Efforts to reach them by firefighters and an inshore rescue team both failed.

Image caption,
Man being rescued in Whitesands by firefighters with a boat

The group was picked up by a Sea King rescue helicopter from HMS Gannet at Prestwick at about 19:00. Two dogs were also rescued.

Mr Kennedy-Moffat told the BBC they realised at about lunchtime that there was no way out by road.

"I realised by about half past one that there was no way out by road," he said.

"Just looking at the way the river had knocked the fence over and how quick it was coming over the top of the road.

"We switched all the electricals off and shifted everything electrical upstairs. We got the kids upstairs and got their feet dried and into socks and warm clothes and jackets."

The children's mother Niky was on the other side of the floodwaters, facing an anxious wait to be reunited with them.

"I was more concerned about the kids, wondered how they felt, were they scared? Were they all right?," she said.

"But as it turned out they were quite happy. They played with their toys and kept calm.

"They took water up the stairs, and the sweeties to make sure they had clean water and food. So they did good."

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency has about 30 flood warnings in place, mainly in Tayside and the Borders, and the Environment Agency has several flood warnings and about 100 flood alerts in place in England and Wales, mostly in the south east.

All Met Office yellow "be aware" warnings for rain have now been lifted.

Scotland's Transport Minister Keith Brown told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme it was hoped the worst of the flooding had passed.

Image caption,
Roads near Closeburn were still flooded on Tuesday morning

"We are going to see additional rain coming in that's going to mean that the recession of the current levels of flooding we've seen in some of the main rivers will be stalled," he said.

"But by and large, all the rivers are starting to reduce, with the exception perhaps of The Tweed, which will take some time to disperse further downstream.

"But that will mean there may be some pressure points around the south west and in the Borders."

Torrential rain led to disruption in several parts of Scotland on Monday.

Homes were evacuated at Kirkconnel, in Dumfries and Galloway, and New Cumnock in East Ayrshire.

Image caption,
Properties were evacuated in Dundee after a landslip damaged a retaining wall

Flooding caused disruption on the rail network and several road closures.

Homes in Port Logan and Newton Stewart also had to be evacuated.

Meanwhile, work has started on demolishing a damaged retaining wall between tenements in Dundee.

A number of flats were evacuated as a precaution and Dundee City Council has advised more than 50 households to stay away until the work is completed.

A wall at the rear of the buildings in the city's Gardner Street also collapsed, after a landslip thought to have been triggered by heavy rain.

Roads in the area have now been reopened.

Around the BBC

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.