All victims of Glasgow Clutha bar helicopter crash named

Nine victims' pictures
Image caption (Top row left to right) David Traill (pilot), PC Kirsty Nelis, PC Tony Collins; (Middle) Gary Arthur, Samuel McGhee, John McGarrigle; (Bottom) Colin Gibson, Mark O'Prey, Robert Jenkins

The names of all nine people who died when a police helicopter crashed into a busy Glasgow pub have been released.

Robert Jenkins, 61, Mark O'Prey, 44, Colin Gibson, 33, and John McGarrigle, 57, were named on Tuesday.

The other victims were Samuel McGhee, 56, Gary Arthur, 48, and the helicopter pilot David Traill, 51, and PCs Kirsty Nelis, 36, and Tony Collins, 43.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg laid a floral tribute where the aircraft crashed into the Clutha bar on Friday.

He was accompanied to the scene on Tuesday morning by Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael and Glasgow City Council leader Gordon Matheson.

Image caption Management of the incident scene has now been handed over to Glasgow City Council

Mr Clegg said the UK government was willing to help the city council, which has pledged to set up a fund for those people bereaved and injured in the tragedy.

"We stand ready to provide help if and when it is needed," he said.

"Of course we will continue to talk to them and work with the city council in any way we can to provide the help which they judge to be necessary."

The deputy prime minister also paid tribute to the "exceptional" response of the people of Glasgow and the emergency services.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionNick Clegg: "City united in grief and compassion"

He said everyone was full of admiration for how the city had come together and for the emergency services who "worked tirelessly in very difficult circumstances".

With no further bodies having been found during the final phase of a recovery operation at the pub, focus is now turning to remembering the dead, helping the bereaved and survivors, and recognising the work of the emergency services.

First Minister Alex Salmond has signed a book of condolence at Glasgow City Chambers and will make a statement on the tragedy in the Scottish Parliament later.

He said: "I had a look at some of the messages when I was able to sign the book today and people are expressing sympathy, condolence obviously, as you would expect, but also solidarity.

Image caption First Minister Alex Salmond has signed a book of condolence

"The theme running through the messages is one of solidarity. The citizens of Glasgow grouping round those who have suffered loss or injury and showing that they care, and the people of Scotland grouping round the citizens of Glasgow - it's solidarity that runs through the book of condolence."

Deputy Chief Constable Rose Fitzpatrick said: "Our thoughts first and foremost are with the families and friends of all those who have died.

"As our investigation continues we will of course go on providing support to the families involved."

She said the recovery operation had been "difficult and complex" and had involved "painstaking work and the skills of specialist personnel from across the emergency services".

Image caption Police officers lined the street as the wreckage was taken away

The family of Mr O'Prey had expressed their frustration at the amount of information they had been given about the recovery operation.

Mr O'Prey and Mr Jenkins, both from East Kilbride, Mr Gibson, from Ayr, and Mr McGarrigle, from Cumbernauld, had all been inside the pub.

Samuel McGhee, 56, of Glasgow, and 48-year-old Gary Arthur, from Paisley, Renfrewshire - who were earlier named among the dead - were also inside The Clutha.

The three dead helicopter crew were pilot David Traill, 51, and PCs Kirsty Nelis, 36, and Tony Collins, 43.

Image caption Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg (centre left) laid a floral tribute at the scene of the crash on Tuesday morning

Eleven of the 32 people injured in the crash are still in hospital.

The BBC understands that three are in a serious condition.

Officers conducting the investigation have asked for any footage of the incident to be emailed to:

Emergency services concluded the recovery operation with a "finger-tip" search of the building after the helicopter, which was embedded in the roof, was lifted out on Monday morning.

The EC135 T2 aircraft, manufactured by Eurocopter, was loaded on to a lorry and taken to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) base in Farnborough, Hampshire.

AAIB deputy chief inspector David Miller revealed on Monday that the pilot had not made a mayday call before its vertical descent.

He said: "I can confirm that the helicopter does not have a flight data recorder. However, it does have a significant number of modern electronic systems on board and it may be possible to recover recorded data from those systems.

"There were no emergency transmissions from the pilot before this accident."

Mr Miller said nothing detached from the craft in flight before the crash.

Management of the incident scene has now been handed over from the emergency services to Glasgow City Council.

The council's chief executive George Black said: "Every Glaswegian is immensely grateful for the work the emergency services have done for us since Friday night.

"And every Glaswegian is immensely proud of their fellow citizens who ran towards trouble when they were needed.

"While the initial response to this incident has now come to an end, we still have work to do."

Scotland's Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill and Community Safety minister Roseanna Cunningham have met officers and crews who took part in the rescue efforts.

'Remarkable courage'

Ms Cunningham said: "The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service played a key role as part of the emergency services response which undoubtedly saved lives after the helicopter crashed on Friday night, the way in which they responded to an incident of this scale is truly exemplary.

"Air accident investigators have described this as one of the most complex crash sites that they've ever worked on."

She added: "We are all indebted to their remarkable courage and dedication, working on a hugely complex operation, the relief effort from all of our emergency services has been simply heroic."

Alasdair Hay, chief officer for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, paid tribute to fire and rescue staff.

He said: "This incident was a very challenging, complex situation and I am extremely proud of my staff for such a dedicated and professional response.

"Whilst firefighters train for these sorts of emergency situations, the reality of actually dealing with them takes its toll on us emotionally and physically.

"It has been an extremely difficult time for everyone involved and I have the utmost respect for every single person who was part of this operation."

Were you in the area? Have you been affected? You can contact us using the form below.

Your contact details

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

The BBC's Privacy Policy