Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Dunbar woman 'saved' from fire by neighbour

A woman's life was "most definitely" saved by her neighbours after they came to her aid in a house fire on Sunday evening, Scottish Fire and Rescue said.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Ashfield Court in the East Lothian town of Dunbar at about 20:30.

They said one neighbour put a ladder to a bedroom window to help the woman get to safety after heavy smoke from a living room fire trapped her upstairs.

Another neighbour kicked in the front door to try to help her get out.

The fire was caused by candles that had been left in a downstairs room, unattended.

The woman suffered smoke inhalation but did not need hospital treatment.

Three fire appliances were sent to the incident and six firefighters extinguished the flames.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "The fire was caused by a candle in the living room and thick smoke meant the woman couldn't get down the stairs and out of the house.

"A neighbour climbed a ladder and rescued her before officers arrived and the woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

"Another man had also tried to get through the front door of the house to reach the woman.

"The officer in command of the incident commended the actions of the neighbours which helped save the life of the woman."