Derry trouble: Man and three boys appear in court


A 22-year-old man and three teenagers have appeared separately in court charged with offences linked to last week's disturbances in Londonderry.

John Paul Moore, from Carlton Court in the Ballymagroarty area, is charged with possessing with intent three improvised explosive devices.

He is also charged with making, possessing and throwing petrol bombs and riotous behaviour.

Mr Moore is alleged to have committed the offences on 12 and 13 July.

He is further charged with indecently exposing himself to a female police officer.

Mr Moore is also charged with damaging a monitoring tag, belonging to G4S and with obstructing a police officer on 26 June.

He was remanded in custody until 9 August.

'Missing person'

Three boys have also appeared before the same court.

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with destroying a car by arson, possessing and throwing a petrol bomb at the police and riotous behaviour.

He is alleged to have committed those offences on 9 and 10 July.

A police officer told the court that the youth, who has no previous convictions, was reported as a missing person from his family home from 6 July, until he was arrested last week.

The teenager was remanded in custody.

The second juvenile, 16, is charged with making and possessing a petrol bomb in the Collon Lane area on 13 July.

The police witness said the youth, who also has no criminal record, was arrested following six days of consecutive rioting in the city. He was released on bail to appear in court in September.

As part of his bail conditions, the defendant is banned from entering the Bogside area, from being within 500m of any ongoing police operation and banned from being in any public place with three or more people.

The third juvenile, 17, has been charged with riotous behaviour at Fahan Street on 12 July and with possessing and throwing a petrol bomb at police officers on the same date.

He is further charged with possessing, possessing with intent to supply and being concerned in offering to supply cocaine and cannabis.

He was remanded in custody until 9 August.

Related Topics