Limavady attack: Family wants justice for Danielle Allen

Danielle and sisters
Image caption Danielle (centre) got to spend time with her sisters Lauren (left) and Stacey (right) on Christmas Day

The family of a woman, who has to use a wheelchair as the result of an attack in County Londonderry five months ago, has called for justice.

Danielle Allen, originally from Aghanloo outside Limavady, was in left in a coma after the attack in Glenmore Gardens in the town on 17 July.

The 27-year-old was found with serious bleeding to the brain, broken ribs, a fractured arm and multiple burns.

A police spokesman said their investigations were continuing.

Ms Allen received rehabilitation at Musgrave Park Hospital in Belfast and is now being cared for at Spruce House in Derry.

She requires 24-hour care.


Danielle's mother, Colette McLaughlin, told BBC Radio Foyle: "I saw my daughter in such a state I thought I had lost her.

"Danielle is not the girl I gave birth to anymore. It's been a total nightmare.

"She was on a life-support machine for a long time in the Royal Victoria Hospital and she has been left with severe brain injuries.

"She's in a wheelchair and can only use one arm."

Image caption Danielle Allen pictured before the attack

Danielle's sister, Stacey Allen, was living in England at the time when she got a phone call to say that Danielle was on a life support machine.

"It was awful. I thought she was gone when I went in to see her," she recalled.

"We do want justice for Danielle. It is important for us and her.

"It is just so cruel what has happened."

To date, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has arrested one man on suspicion of serious offences related to the attack.


The 23-year-old was detained on 18 July and was later released on police bail pending further inquiries.

The PSNI's area commander for Limavady, Ch Insp Alan Hutton, said: "We sympathise with Danielle and her family on the undoubted trauma that they have experienced.

"We can only begin to imagine what the last six months have meant to them.

"Our determination to find out what happened to Danielle has not diminished.

"Since July, extensive enquiries have continued and a number of interviews have been carried out."

The senior officer said they had employed "a wide range of resources" to assist in the investigation, including experts from within the PSNI as well as from outside Northern Ireland.

He said officers had also been in contact with the McLaughlin family to update them on the investigation.

More on this story