Northern Ireland

Derry woman Dorothy Carlyle beaten and stabbed in South Africa

Kidnap victim Dorothy Carlyle
Image caption Mrs Carlyle is being treated in hospital for stab injuries following her ordeal

South African police are questioning three people after the kidnap and stabbing of a Londonderry woman who now lives in the country.

Dorothy Carlyle's car was hijacked in Durban on Tuesday.

She was attacked and locked in the boot of her car for 10 hours before she was freed after a police shootout.

Mrs Carlyle, who is 59, was taken to hospital for treatment following her ordeal.

Her daughter Brooke said the hijackers came to their home to target her mother.

"My sister and I were here at the house at the time," she said.

"We did hear a scream but thought nothing of it at the time, we just went shopping for Mum's birthday present after we thought she left for her work.

"At around 17:00 (local time) we tried to phone her but her phone was off, so we got in touch with the police and private security investigators and started to try and track where she was.

"Then they just narrowed the area down to the last signal of her phone. There were helicopters in the air and units on the ground going door to door and they found her in the boot of the car.

"She was relieved to be found, she was incredibly strong the whole time, but she was thankful they had found her."

The BBC's Africa producer Kate Forbes said the incident has shocked people in Durban.

"Dorothy was in a middle-class suburb of Durban at 14:30 local time, a normal afternoon when she was carjacked," she added.

Image caption Mrs Carlyle was taken to a township near Durban

Tracking device

"She was beaten and stabbed, and bundled into the boot of her vehicle.

"Her attackers then drove her to the township of KwaMashu, 20 miles north of Durban, but stopped on the way to withdraw money from her bank account."

She said Mrs Carlyle managed to activate a satellite vehicle tracking device in the car.

"The reason she was kept for 10 hours was to allow them to get as much money as they could out of her account, more than the daily limit," she added.

"These guys were brazen, they were boasting, they were not keeping this quiet and it was because of that they came unstuck.

"The community around KwaMashu, which is quite a rough township, who didn't like what was going on, started to let information out and that really helped what turned out to be a nationwide search."