Northern Ireland

Donaghadee: Staff discharged from hospital after fire

Moat Street was closed as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.
Image caption Moat Street was closed on Wednesday morning as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.

Two staff members have been discharged from hospital after a fire at a restaurant in Donaghadee, County Down.

The pair who work at the Bull and Claw restaurant and pub were treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

The fire on Moat Street was reported shortly after 10:00 GMT on Wednesday and the road was closed as firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Significant damage has been caused to the building, particularly the roof.

Image caption Firefighters used an aerial appliance to examine the damaged roof

A Facebook post from the restaurant praised the actions of the two staff members, thought to be chefs.

"Been a bad day at the office. Fire spread through the top quarter of our premises from our utility room," it said.

It added: "Thanks to the fantastic Fire Brigade who managed to keep the damage to the absolute minimum".

Fire crews from Donaghadee, Bangor, Newtownards and Belfast took part in the operation.

"At its height we had five pumping appliances, 28 personnel and one aerial ladder platform," said Group Commander Andy McVeigh.

He added that the fire was "well developed" when the first crews arrived, but their "quick actions" helped to prevent flames spreading to neighbouring properties.

The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental.

Related Topics