Northern Ireland

Lisa Dorrian suspects released on bail

Lisa Dorrian Image copyright Photo released by PSNI
Image caption Lisa Dorrian has been missing since 2005

A man and a woman arrested on suspicion of the murder of Lisa Dorrian have been released on bail.

Earlier on Saturday, police were granted an extra 12 hours to question them about the murder of the County Down woman 14 years ago.

The 49-year-old man and the 34-year-old woman were arrested in the Newtownards area on Friday morning.

Ms Dorrian was last seen alive at a caravan park in Ballyhalbert on 28 February 2005.

On Monday, police began a fresh search for the 25-year-old shop assistant's body near the caravan park.

The search area also included a disused airfield behind the caravan park, and a number of other locations.

The detective leading the investigation, Det Supt Jason Murphy, said that his team were using new technology that was not available at the time of her disappearance in 2005.

He also said police believed her body was still in Ballyhalbert.

Image copyright Pacemaker
Image caption Police teams began fresh searches in Ballyhalbert for the body of Lisa Dorrian on Monday

Ms Dorrian's killing is one of the most high-profile unsolved murders in Northern Ireland.

Before the latest search operation began this week, police had pursued more than 3,500 lines of inquiry and carried out almost 400 searches including extensive air, land and sea operations along the Ards Peninsula.

A fresh appeal for information about her murder was made on the BBC's Crimewatch programme in 2018.

More on this story