Northern Ireland

Lurgan: Rail workers approached by man armed with gun

The train line in the Lake Street area of Lurgan Image copyright Google Maps
Image caption The train line in the Lake Street area of Lurgan

Engineering work on a railway line in Lurgan has been suspended after workers were approached by a gunman.

Police are investigating the incident, which happened at around 11.10 GMT on Saturday at the train line on Lake Street.

Translink chief executive Chris Conway described the incident as "disgraceful".

A Translink spokesperson confirmed work had been suspended "for the safety and welfare of the engineers involved."

Police said they are investigating the incident.

Image copyright Translink

Local consultation

Translink said the essential engineering work being carried out this weekend is part of a "wider project to upgrade the line to maintain high safety standards".

"We are currently liaising with the PSNI who are investigating this incident," a spokesperson said.

"We have consulted widely with the local community and local stakeholders who have been very supportive, recognising the need and associated benefits, longer term, which this important scheme will provide for the local area.

"We hope to resume these works to ensure we have the line reopened and passenger services back in place for Monday as planned."

"It's understood a number of workmen were approached by a male who was allegedly armed with a firearm," a PSNI spokesperson said.

'Absolutely despicable'

SDLP MLA Dolores Kelly called on those responsible to withdraw the threat immediately.

"Not only have they done harm to those workers who were intimidated, but also to the people in the neighbourhood and also those who use the railway line to go about their daily business and commute to work," the Upper Bann representative said.

"The people who did this are absolutely despicable, they have tarred the name of the good people of north Lurgan."

The railway line at Lake Street has been subject to a number of attacks in recent years.

In August last year, services on the line were stopped for a period of time after three petrol bombs were thrown.

Police stated at the time they believed dissident republicans instructing younger people were behind the attacks.

In January 2016, an incident at the same site saw more than 100 petrol bombs thrown at police.

The attacks happened after the PSNI was called to attend a security alert.

Related Topics