Northern Ireland

Gerard Quinn died from single stab wound to throat, court told

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionA 16-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with the murder of 24-year-old father of one Gerard Quinn in Londonderry at the weekend.

A man who was murdered at the weekend in Londonderry was killed by a single stab wound to the throat caused by a broken glass, a youth court has heard.

Gerard Quinn, a 24-year-old father of one, was attacked at Milldale Crescent on Saturday night, the court heard.

He was taken to Altnagelvin hospital but later died of his injuries.

A 16-year-old appeared in a Derry court on Tuesday charged with murder. He cannot be named because of his age.

Image copyright Press Eye
Image caption Gerard Quinn died after an assault on Saturday night

The defendant was also charged with attempting to cause grievous bodily harm to Mr Quinn's twin brother, Michael.

A detective constable told the court the PSNI received a report that a man had been stabbed in the throat at Tullymore Road at 22:26 BST on Saturday.

"When the police arrived, they observed a man lying on the ground. He was not breathing and he had lost a lot of blood," she said.

"Members of the public were observed administering first aid. The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service arrived and took charge.

"A man was treated at the scene before being conveyed to Altnagelvin Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for his injury."

Image caption Mr Quinn was stabbed in his front garden

The det cons said that at 00:13 BST on Sunday the defendant attended Strand Road police station on a voluntary basis.

After Gerard Quinn was pronounced dead at 04:20 BST on Sunday, he was charged with his murder.

During his interviews, the defendant admitted striking two men at Milldale Crescent, the court heard.

The court was told that prior to the the incident, which gave rise to the two charges, there was a "melee" involving Gerard Quinn, his brother and another 16-year-old.

The det cons also said the defendant had raised the issue of self defence during police interviews.

Image caption The defendant was appearing at a youth court in Londonderry

A defence solicitor said the youth's family wished to express their condolences to the Quinn family.

"It is a tragedy for the Quinn family and for themselves," he said.

"They have asked the police officers to confirm that the defendant complied fully with them during his interviews and they thanked the community for their support and they have asked, at this difficult time for both families, there should be no repercussions."

The district judge said the incident was a "complete tragedy and the court would wish to add its condolences to the Quinn family on the death of Gerard".

There was no bail application and the defendant was remanded in custody until 7 June.

More on this story