Northern Ireland

Residents moved from Larne retirement home after armchair fire

McNeill Court nursing home complex on Main Street in Larne
Image caption Some of the residents were taken to nearby shops while the fire was dealt with

A retirement home in County Antrim was evacuated after an armchair caught fire in part of the building.

The ambulance and fire services were called to the McNeill Court complex in Larne shortly after 10:00 GMT on Thursday.

None of the residents required medical treatment and they have all now returned to the building.

Police are not treating the blaze as suspicious.

Gregg McKeen, a Democratic Unionist Party councillor for the area, said: "Some of the residents were put up in some shops for a short period of time."

Image caption DUP councillor Gregg McKeen said emergency services had "responded quickly" to the fire